Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you cooking for Independence Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you cooking for Independence Day?

In light of our new found understanding that grilling is bad and we should just cook in the kitchen (thanks Huskee for that tidbit), I was curious what folks are planning for tomorrow’s celebration of our Independence?

I was seriously considering some tofu and Vegan fried rice ….. but then Stacy slapped me around and said "I need a BBQ with MEAT" …. So, I dug around in the freezer and look what I found!

1X rack back ribs, already brined and rubbed
    1X rack spare ribs, need to SLC trim and rub
    1x pack of Hutchins jalapeño/cheddar sausage
    1x whole chicken
    1x Tri-Tip
    2.5 lbs pork belly

So, we invited the neighbors …. They are bringing all the sides and the beer, I’m cooking the meat. On the grill. With no temperature control. And the heat source underneath the food for flare ups. I think I won’t even clean my grates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3A534A50-62CA-4E90-A8BB-EFEBFA0DD1C5.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	1054461

THICK Chuck for me, full packer for ex-sister-in-law and whomever she is feeding tomorrow. Try to cram it all onto my small grate.

Comment

Nothing. We are invited to ours sons house. He is doing the cooking. 👍

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Even better

Glad I could help enlighten you. Spaghetti here. You know, where it's safe and healthy and not "ew".

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL don’t go overboard now

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee Dang man, we must be related. I’m cooking spaghetti tonite too. Wouldn’t it be great if you found out we were cousins or sumptin?

Weather looking better, from washout to 30% of showers. Picked up a couple of T-Bones today so thinking that's the way to go. We'll see if Mother Nature throws up curve ball.

Looks like a go for grilling. T-Bone for me Omaha Steak bacon wrapped Filet for my wife.

Nothing to do with this subject. Did a grind of 2# chuck roast. 7 burgers. 6 4 oz. 1 6oz. Now home alone. Wife went to grandsons baseball game. Me, knee issues. Calling Dr. Tuesday. Now that I've been cleared, my heart is OK. Story for another time. So to ease the pain which there is a fair amount of, a bit of Makers.

Happy 4th and sorry for the diversion.

Last edited by RichieB; July 4, 2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Looks like I’m on sous chef duty in SWMBO’s pizza kitchen on Sunday.

Comment

Steak n salmon. Prolly have some sides too.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Sides? I like sides ….. side of beef, side of pork, half a chicken … yup, I like sides.

6 racks of STL’s in the Shirley and 8-1/2 chickens and 4- 1/4’s in the PBC,,,,,

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow. Is there a pic of your Shirley round here?

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            pbc, pbc, pbc!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            You're going to be busy. It's a good kind of busy, though. Enjoy that cook.

Kathryn

Nothing screams 4th Of July cooking like………spaghetti.
          Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            PJ with that attitude, I’d never cook outside.

• Clark
            Clark commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John That is unusual looking spaghetti.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like a great batcha busketti, save me a place at th table, Amigo!

I was planning on smoking a brisket but now that I’ve been told grilling is bad, I guess I’ll have to cook it inside. I’m thinking I’ll boil it for a while then microwave on high to give it a nice bark.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Don’t add the Liquid Smoke till it hits the microwave! Very important for that hot off the smoker taste.

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s great advice Panhead John , thanks for the tip!!

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            You’re welcome Red Man I’m more than happy to share my techniques with The Pit. FYI….It’s a well known fact that Aaron Franklin stole my brisket techniques, which he then was able to parlay into a booming business….bastard!
            Last edited by Panhead John; July 4, 2021, 06:53 AM.

Beef cheeks burnt ends on my aging Weber. I’m starting tonight and then into beef tallow and the oven for about 15 hours.

Rob

Comment

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds great. Pictures please for the cook.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            I wanna hear about this one! Love me some cheekys!!!

Picked up beef ribs from my new found butcher. I’m doing them Texas style per Meathead’s recipe.

Comment

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            Please don't be shy with the pictures.

StL ribs for the two of us.

Comment

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            What time should I show up? And we'll take lots of pictures to share with our Pit brothers and sisters.

Whole chicken (spatchcocked, of course) and a couple of racks of ribs. MAYBE!

I pulled the shop vac out today to vacuum out the Silverbac, and the dang thing was melted! The hose was completely melted in two, the removable top with motor had about a 4 inch melted spot where the hose had been lying, and the power cord was also melted where it had been coiled up touching the hose.

I can't remember the last time I vacced out the Silverbac pellet pooper, at least a number of long cooks ago, and don't know about the Weber kettle.

I finally looked inside and there was a mostly intact briquette, so perhaps I vacced up some hot coals and one or two were stuck in the hose? I can't think how that would have happened.

Anyway, we will recover and cook tomorrow. Off to Home Despot for a Buckethead.

Happy 4th, everyone1

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Talk about an unpleasant surprise. Spent coals can be tricky sometimes. They look dead but they're not. I bet that whoosh of air in the vacuum revitalized them. Hope it was a cheap vacuum cleaner.

Kathryn

Cheeks before smoke.
          Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            So many steers have lost their smile to that cook...

Kathryn

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            That's more cheeks than a Kardashian family reunion.

Cheeks are tough. Last couple of times I made taco's de cachete, I smoked them for a couple of hours and them put them in the sous vide overnight to get tender.

What are your plans for all these?

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc , they probably stopped smiling long ago... the moment they became steers.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here