Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do These Things Happen/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do These Things Happen/

I was looking over Raichlen's "BBQ Bible" this afternoon. I've owned it for a long time, but, for whatever reason, haven't used it much. At any rate, he has a chart for beef temperatures in which he lists rare at 140°F and medium rare at 150°F. I've seen these same temps in other books. Raichlen even urges the use of a thermometer to be sure the temp is right. How on earth can someone write a 500 page book on grilling, claim to use a thermometer, and be so dadgum wrong?

On the back cover of the book, eminent chef's like Charlie Trotter, Rick Bayless, and Mark Miller all give big thumbs up for Raichlen and his book. What does that tell us about the level of attention they paid to the contents of the book?

Betcha Meathead rechecks his book
    I guess he has the same editor for online, i'd hate to order a medium from this guy.
    Rare: 125 degrees F
    Medium-rare: 145 degrees F
    Medium: 160 degrees F
    Well-done: 180 degrees F
    Not to mention this old myth he gets wrong IMO

Myth number 4: Turn the steaks often.
    False. Most of the world’s meat masters turn the steaks only once. Why? This helps achieve a better crust.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Just to clarify, those quotes are from Raichlen's website, _John_ ? If so, one would think that someone would have asked him about that.

Kathryn

Willie, Thanks for the Heads Up, I too Have Raichen's Books, I will have look through them with a more critical eye. John, I turn my steaks once as well! Dan

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing wrong with it at all, I just think the crust for an answer is wrong, if anything you should get a better crust from turning more.

fzxdoc Can't link in comments, the link is here, where it also says poking it is the ideal way to test doneness... I guess if he is going by these temps his poke is more accurate than his thermapen. Meathead needs to send this guy a magnet

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow _John_ . At first I thought you must be kidding. Those recommended temps on that link would never fly in our house.

I ended up with 3 Meathead temp guide magnets (two came free with Maverick purchases and one from becoming a member here) and gave one to each of our kids. I feel a whole lot safer using his recommendations and certainly serve great steaks thanks to following his temp guidelines.

K.

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc the weird thing is he has an article discussing reverse sear where he talks about the awesome steak from a guy who serves them at 100, it needs to be just warmer than body temperature he says. He says he likes his sear method (traditional) better because it tastes more alive...at 100 degrees it IS alive!! I just looked it up because of this, a cows average temp is 101.5 so he is serving it colder than when it was alive!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Cow sushi, maybe, _John_ ?

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here