Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plant based meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever anyone chooses for themselves is fine and none of my business. Just please do not force your preferences onto me.

I do think mass produced steroid injected methods are an issue. I would love to see more local farms and butcheries.

Talking to my local butcher he was not impacted by the recent ransomware attack. Local farms were still able to get beef to local butcher shops. He said the main issue around here is the lack of animal processing/slaughter houses. That is the choke point. Any meat for commercial sale must be federally inspected.

Comment

Last night I was at a food cart pod and decided to give it a shot. The burger was 100% vegan and very tasty. It did taste like meat and it was juicy. The only knock would be the texture was a little different but not bad. I think you could easily fool someone and pass it off for beef. I have definitely had worse actual burgers. However, it has all the fat, calories, and sodium of a regular burger. So the only benefit is perhaps environmental impact.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kvf7x25SbuUoErvBF6Qfir7KWJuJB1fz6JO4XPrL0SDF7X8DTiLyerxRzXcHOv-pD7Qstdv8s1EiiYNg4WUXAul9fnr0zEFGPbmc17wFa63hxrsIfxXBzwNh_2Ik6sQ-KpYRNgiKL1WmjBrzkEKXlz_uAhR5gMrTmDG2CLZHGFyQN3Ae-Jze4dEW7AqTAc6Ls-oiON1gVm520fb9Bah_Db4_o9bssZUYYMyhOsHkc8Qc6QMyUxm8z4XUcdHQ_W-
Views:	140
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1049536

Click image for larger version

Name:	k0DyF01IyHCBGb-1JCZcb8MWmzB7uxBY3y5Tf30vi4qB4OC1Phm8J3kgf7t-QOJkHXnji4OEZQGGbEz0Fnn2kbuADBpKUxB2eWlq2LOnmOYcOOjun3uBk8btsfApZS1XY_krkMIl7921e58AvWeo5KulbhgPsLysjYSFb7r_42qotR_GNxq2q8lwTIaA276O_fH3xAlktRWGLx3UnEYei6NLpi1UsFl1OvLPHfWAV9VkshcU9jFaSvIA_TJfTt9
Views:	138
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1049537

Comment

I am more leery of what they put in them to make something that is not meat, taste and feel like meat.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I try to avoid processed foods as I feel they are generally not very healthy. Whole foods and meat from small farms are the way to go in my opinion. On the other hand, I don't always follow that philosophy which is why these fake meats do not bother me in the slightest. But I predict they will not become part of my regular diet.

Please remember, anything to do with food has a proper channel. Off Topic is for anything...well....off the topic of food, cooking, cookers, fuels, accesories used for food and cooking, etc.

Thanks for helping keep the mods' jobs a touch easier.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe we need a grass channel.

Faux meat? I fauxsho ain’t interested, prolly has cowieflower and baacoli…..what they save in cow methane will be canceled by noobthane

Comment

After thinking somemore on this, when it grows in the garden and looks like a steak or burger, I’ll pick one and try it!

Comment

I had the Beyond Sausage breakfast muffin from Dunkin Donuts and wasn't impressed.

I'd be open to trying a high-quality plant-based burger.

I'd also be willing to give plant-based brisket a try, but ultimately they have to deliver a product that is comparable or cheaper than real meat and similar in taste before I'm going to consider it anything more than a novelty. I don't have any philosophical objections to eating plant-based meat as long as it tastes good and I'm saving money.

Comment

I tried one of the carls junior burgers tasted ok ,texture a little weird. came home did little research, not good for you how much plant stuff would you have to grow to replace meat at 1/3 more money sorry I will stick to grinding my burger and eating them. as for the bickering that's the reason I haven't been around as much as I used to be ask a question get a smart ass reply, one more pet pieve, if you didn't make it don't rate it, 5 stars cuz it sounds AMAZING, one star cuz the pan looks smaller than you think it looks in the picture, sorry but just sayin.

Comment

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                come on back Papa! hopefully we have weeded out the perps…. and,well. Panhead John he’s sorta ecome family

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Papa Bob I know what yer sayin, but luckily there’s very little of that here. Stick around, you’re a fun guy.

smokenoob Yeah….The Adams Family. 🥸

Anyone up for meat based plants?

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahaha

Please let them get this right one day but not just for meat for everything (not likely🤣) if they did all my Star Trek fantasies would come true!!
              Attached Files

Comment

STOP CALLING IT MEAT! It is not meat. These kinds of products are more genetically modified than probably Spam or Velvetta. And stop calling it "burgers". They are black bean patties or mushroom patties. And to points made above, there is probably so much salt, sugar and binders in these products, it’s worse for you. Want a vegetable? Eat a vegetable. Want meat? Eat meat. Being a former whole animal butcher shop owner, this subject gets me riled up.

Don’t get me started on almond or oat "milk".

Comment

Animals eat plants. Animals produce proteins. Therefore, real meat is plant based. I'm good with that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here