Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plant based meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant based meat

I tried an early version of plant based meat. I am open to the concept. I did not like what I tried at that time, I am sure it has
    improved. It did not impress me as a sub for meat flavor or texture. Is it still all ground stuff now, I don't even know. Has
    anyone tried smoking it, like in a meat loaf?

Whatever your feelings about it, I thought this was funny, and like most jokes not totally logical, from twitter:

"How come they try to make plants taste like meat but nobody tries to make meat taste like plants? Is it b/c one is inherently more satisfying and satiating than the other?"

OK, I am missing something, probably something simple and embarrassing. I type in posts in a nice paragraph format, and they come out all hacked up. WTH? I don't see anyone else this happens to ... Be nice

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Be nice? Where do you think you are? If you try and leave an indention at the beginning of a paragraph, the words automatically goes back to the left margin when you post it. I don’t know why. This what you’re talking about?

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      See, I typed "Be nice Panhead John" and look what happened, it left part of that out! It is the sentences in the middle of the paragraphs that get broken up. Look at the third sentence and how it is broken up. I did not type it that way.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      You only need to hit return at the end of your paragraphs. Don't try and do word wrap on the sentences yourself.

If I want plants, I eat plants. If I want meat, I eat meat.

There’s one main reason they want to make plants taste like meat, so I refuse to go there.

Comment

First of all the name "plant based meat" is an oxymoron. It's either meat from some type of animal or it's a freakin' plant. The 2 can't mesh.
      Second, I wouldn't put it anywhere near a plate that I was eating from.
      For those who consume it, enjoy and I respect yours opinion. However, you might want to seek out the amazing ribs plant based community. Safe to say a person named Meathead will not be it's leader. 😁😁

Comment

If it tasted good I'd eat it...as a side dish for my meat.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Good one! 😂

With all do respect, I am just not interested. Period.

Comment

Not this again. Move on.

If I sound grumpy it's because this is the 3rd or 4th thread about this and it's tiresome. Some people don't eat meat, get over it.

PS: to the OP's question, yes it's all still imitating ground meat. The texture of chops etc is hard to replicate though I've heard they're trying to.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Mr. Grouchy Pants, lighten up. I’m sure most all of our posts have been recycled at one time or another. If you don’t like the post, move on to another one.

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            And you don't need to comment on my post either. This is just tiresome BS railing and it shows this community at it's more intolerant. Of course no one here is going ti side with plant based 'meat'. What's the point of posting, yet again, whines about it?

I guess I’m just dense. Why do people need to make non-meat stuff taste like meat? If you don’t want to eat meat, eat something else. Is that so hard?

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm with you.

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Different, but I say the same thing when people cover a steak in some sort of sauce, if y0u don’t like steak, don’t eat it.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            " something something poor understanding of carbon cycle and better animal husbandry practices something something"

"By shifting from animal, to plant-based meat, we are creating one savory solution that solves four growing issues attributed to livestock production: human health, climate change, constraints on natural resources and animal welfare.” [Beyond Meat]
          Quotation copied from https://fueledbyscience.com/faux-mea...and-fallacies/

I do not agree that those are "issues" and certainly do not believe they are "growing."
          1. Human health: the fake meat contains pretty much the same amount of fat, but possibly less saturated fat, but there's no consensus. They do contain substantially more sodium which IS an issue. Therefore they do not really improve health.
          2. Climate change: no evidence showing we can affect the climate or that animal emissions can either. Fallacy.
          3. We pay farmers to NOT grow grains which could easily feed animals. Or we give grains away. What constraints?
          4. Animal welfare: Humane killing has been widely used for many years already, not to make us feel better about ourselves, but to improve the quality of the product.

Lacking evidence for any constructive reason for these products, and lacking a market for them, it's become more a political movement, couched in political correctness. It makes me sick. I'm going to continue to cling to my guns, religion and real meat.

Comment

• Bruceski44
            Bruceski44 commented
            Editing a comment
            Our love for meat is primal. I can wiggle my ears, which is a trait reaching back to primeval man, and I think my love for old-fashioned, God-made meat is also ingrained in me. We're told we can't fool Mother Nature, but we keep trying to fool our own primal nature.
            Last edited by Bruceski44; June 16, 2021, 09:32 PM.

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            "Climate change: no evidence showing we can affect the climate"

(rolled eyes)

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd make a comment on one of the above bullet points, but, well, no politics here, right?

Mark V indeed plant based meat, hope you don't get banned for suggesting . . .

Comment

Not sure I would bbq/cook plant based meats (life is too short) but I must admit I have had the Burger King Impossible Whopper.
            Quite tasty actually. I would order it again.

Comment

rickgregory If no one commented about anything here that has been brought up before, there would be no posts here at all. I hadn't seen the posts before about plant based stuff, and I do think the twitter post was new, I thought kind of funny, but might have been recycled. I certainly did not search all of twitter and the internet to see if it has been said before. Of course your comment bears comment, not fair to say all that and also say don't bother me. What this shows is you as intolerant, sorry.

Someone could have easily said the stuff was not bad, you assume too much, and in not a good way.

I would still like to know if anyone has tried smoking it. I know someone who swears by smoked Spam, lite version only. You never know. I am going to try both.

Comment

I'd eat it if it was cheaper AND tastier. Since it's neither I'll give it a hard pass.

Comment

I have had a burger and it tasted pretty good. Haven't thought to BBQ it though, hey why not? What I have seen is mainly ersatz ground meat though so either burgers or meatloaf I guess. Plant based brisket- that would be something to see.

Comment

Planthead just doesn't have the same ring to it as Meathead haha

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here