Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be forewarned. It's a bit of a ramble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be forewarned. It's a bit of a ramble.

So, it's been quite a week. A little creative scheduling got me six days off of work and gave me a chance to get the rest of my first floor gutted out, and the temporary kitchen functioning. The idea was to start the demo late May, early June so it would be done before temps climbed up too high. As the other Cheeseheads can confirm, that didn't work out at all. Not even a little bit. Thanks to my son's being able to help out for a several hours, I was able to get everything done, but it took a couple days longer than it should have. Cost me fifteen pounds of water weight in three days. it also prompted a complete stranger at the local big box home improvement to store to stop me and ask if I was feeling okay. Now, I just have to learn how to remodel in a couple of headers over some windows, to replace the poop that some drunken primates hurled at the wall and called "carpentry", then get on with the original plan. You ever heard the saying "They don't build them like they used to"? My answer to that is, "Thank God!" Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146018.jpg Views:	9 Size:	3.81 MB ID:	1043780
    It wasn't all work however. I did manage sneak a couple in cooks along the way. First up was some pastrami using the excellent method shared with us by @David Parrish.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146025.jpg Views:	9 Size:	5.11 MB ID:	1043787
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146019.jpg Views:	8 Size:	4.39 MB ID:	1043781
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146022.jpg Views:	9 Size:	4.80 MB ID:	1043784Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146021.jpg Views:	8 Size:	4.68 MB ID:	1043783Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146020.jpg Views:	8 Size:	4.55 MB ID:	1043782
    They took about seven hours to push them through the stall running the WSM at 250°. Thankfully, the Fireboard/Pit Viper did all the hard work, so all I had to do was keep an ear out for alarms. The second cook that was also referenced here, was supposed to be two slabs of Creekstone spare ribs, but ended up being three slabs for reasons you'll see momentarily. I did warn you this was a ramble... This was my first time trying something from Creekstone, and I have to say, I was impressed. The slabs were smaller than what I usually get from Costco, but oh boy were they good.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146026.jpg Views:	9 Size:	5.62 MB ID:	1043788
    I will definitely be keeping an eye out to stock up when they go on sale again. The solution to my lack of rub problem ended up being a blessing in disguise. Slab #1 got the last of my Hanks KC. Slab #2 got SPGO as recommend by so many in the Pity Party post. The #3 surprise slab got Bronzeville rub from The Spice House,
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146024.jpg Views:	9 Size:	4.85 MB ID:	1043786
    and here's why. My number 2 son is a fan of my ribs, and after listening to my lack of rub whine, took it upon himself to leave for work early so he would have time to stop at the Spice House Milwaukee location. He's a pretty decent griller, but so far hasn't done any low and slow despite being gifted my Weber 22 complete with SnS. As he explained it, he walked into The Spice House, and asked for a BBQ rub to go with ribs. A packet of Bronzeville is what they handed him, so that's what got dropped off with a text message letting me know there was a present for me in the garage. Well shucks. There was no way he wasn't getting a slabs worth of ribs as a thank you. So, two slabs became three, and all was good. I have never tried the Bronzeville, but it is certainly good enough to make sure there is always some in stock in the spice drawer. I think it would really shine on a pork shoulder. It's not nearly as sweet as I normally use, and with just a little kick of heat, it was a real winner. The slab with Hanks KC was exactly what you expect it to be, and that's why Hanks has a permanent spot on the spice rack. The SPGO rack was also a surprise, but really, it shouldn't have been. For some reason I have never stuck to the basics on pork ribs, but I have learned from my mistake. SPGO is a fine rub for for meat of all kinds. Thank you to those that reminded me of that, and convinced me to give it a shot on ribs.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146027.jpg Views:	9 Size:	5.51 MB ID:	1043789
    All three slabs turned out great after approximately 5 hours @275° on the pellet pooper. The pellets were cherry, and the smoke tube was loaded with a mix of apple and pear chips. Each had their own distinct flavor, and all three were slabs I would be proud to replicate again.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by willxfmr; June 10, 2021, 11:49 PM.

you lost me at "cheeseheads" but i rejoined at "pastrami"

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Our Fine Illinois Buddies took to calling us Cheeseheads to get under our skin. So... We made hats for the occasion.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t worry, Iowans call ya that too, especially Bears fans. Dang it if my son didn’t become a Packers fan solely to spite me.

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy Packers/Bears needs its own thread and that thread should be monitored for proper content at all times.

What a great post! Thanks for posting, a very enjoyable read, taking us through the ups and downs of renovation. Been there (several times), done that. Real glad to see you managing to fit a few cooks in between too, mouth watering!!

Comment

I've had to quit wandering the aisles muttering to myself in the big box stores for the same reason.

I still do it at work though.

Looks like someone replaced windows in the distant past and didn't bother with the headers.

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        That's my thought too. There was some work done on the place in the early to mid 70's judging by the colors. It looks to me like they wanted bigger windows, but ran out of wood for the header.

Great lookin cooks, and good luck with the window...

Comment

"It's a bit of a ramble"
        That is okay, I like the pictures, and I did not have to color them.

Comment

Outstanding cooks! That would have been all on my table, but then you manage the remodeling end of things. 👍👍👍

Comment

You've got this, bro! Nice cooks, too.

Comment

Same, same willxfmr but with a patio project with 42# 16x16 pavers. Yep, 6inches of gravel too. All by hand because I could not get any machinery to the site. What's with this heat up here? Now my air conditioner is on the fritz. And you are a way better man than me to work cooks into your week . . . . . way, way better. I was on the Gatorade train.

Comment

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                That does not sound like fun at all. I know we went through enough water to float a destroyer getting it done.

• RustyHaines
                RustyHaines commented
                Editing a comment
                We need cooler temps and rain real bad or I will need to change my member location from Tiedeman's Pond to Tiedeman's Mud Flat !

At least you guys ate well while accomplishing your building duties. Hopefully, you had time for an adult beverage at the end of the day too.

Comment

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                The boys availed themselves to a cold one or two, but coffee is my beverage of choice for all occasions. Unless I'm really looking to cut loose, then I'll pick up a jug of WHOLE milk, not the wimpy 2% I usually limit myself to.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here