Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Raising Cost of Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Raising Cost of Food

Well, There goes Happy Hour. A fav for the wife and me. With less going out means more grilling at home. Perhaps that is not a bad thing.

Spike in food costs puts Oregon restaurants in difficult position | KATU

"It’s just hard because we don’t want to raise prices to where customers won’t come in," said Marcus Oliver, owner of Miss Delta in North Portland. "I mean the cost of food to buy product for food is insane. For instance, there were cases of chicken going for $45 to $50 a case. Now it’s $100 to $120 a case."

Economists are not surprised by the increase in food costs. Bob Whelan with ECONorthwest says he has been following this for some time.

"We have been warning about it for several years and there have been a lot of doubters out there. We have a whole host of things stepping in at the same time ," Whelan said. "Some restaurants folded, many can’t find enough workers, and on top of it, the cost of many items have gone through the roof. It's all because you have the surge in economy and you had a lot of cutbacks in supply. We had the worst of worst, and on top of it all the federal government has essentially over stimulated the economy."

I BBQ Therefore I AM
    Last edited by bbqLuv; June 8, 2021, 08:46 AM.

Don't worry, the guvmint will come fix it, it's what we pay them to do, right?
    Last edited by CaptainMike; June 11, 2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles I turned it into a question so I think I'm good.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah, I'm sure we can trust the credit card companies to do the right thing

• prepperjack
      prepperjack commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike I'm sure that their solution will be to just send everyone money each month to account for inflation.

I've been watching prices at Sam's Club, where I buy most of my meat. The spare ribs I bought for something like $1.89 or less just a few months ago are suddenly $4.99. This is for untrimmed spares. The baby/loin backs were the same price. Flank steak several months ago was $5.99, a month ago I had a taco/fajita night and it was $7.99, it was $9.99 this week. Brisket that was $2.59 a pound is now $4.99 a pound or higher.

The chicken shortage is the worst. The only fresh chicken at Sam's was drumsticks and boneless or regular thighs. No wings, frozen or fresh. Frozen wings most places are $5 a pound. I jumped on some St. Louis slabs for $2.89 a pound at Walmart last night, and some Purdue frozen wings for $3 a pound at Publix as well.

Comment

• leol2
      leol2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I spent $5.19 a pound without asking first. Took them anyways because I ordered without asking the price. Now they are $5.99 a pound

• saneric38
      saneric38 commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely have been in shock about the spare ribs price at Sam's. I started smoking after the prices got higher I suppose. Watch the sale adds foe Winn Dixie and Rouses around here. For a while, every time I'd go to Sam's, I would go look at the ribs thinking I might find a deal on good ribs, nope.

I also believe this is going to get worse and I do not think that prices will decline over time either. Very good reason to stay stocked as much as possible.

Comment

Yup, "Trouble comin every day".

Comment

The truth

Comment

Seems a year supply of food doesn’t seem like such a strange idea anymore. 🤔
          Last edited by Donw; June 9, 2021, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Gentle reminder that food talk is not Off Topic talk. Please limit Off Topic/General Discussion channel topics to only that which is not on the topic of food, cooking, cookers, fuels, cooking accessories, etc. Such as jokes, pets, cars, home repair, haircuts, nail polish, choir practice, the speed of lightning, mailbox colors, favorite pens, mustache wax, teeth whitening, pool noodles, roof rakes, lawnmower blades, fake legs, horse figurines, missing board games pieces, barns, whale sounds, etc.

Thanks!

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Most people don't know this, but earwax is an acceptable substitution for mustache wax. You're welcome.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Inflation might be off-topic, no? Not when it comes to food?
              ComfortablyNumb "...missing a black pawn" It was captured on f7!& #. LOL
              Last edited by bbqLuv; June 10, 2021, 01:09 PM.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              bbqLuv , you are the Waco kid?

I did;’t get a haircut. 🕶

Now, what about those fake legs?
            Last edited by FireMan; June 10, 2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Didn't get a haircut, but did you get them all cut?

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              It went something like this if I remember correctly. But the '60 in the bay area was a long time ago. I think it was back in high school, the best 5 years of my life.
              1.e4 e5
              2.Bc4 Nc3
              3.Qh5 Nf6
              4.Qf7#
              Last edited by bbqLuv; June 11, 2021, 06:59 AM.

I was at my local Costco today. Prime brisket was $8.99/lb. There was a post on the Recteq forum by a guy who had the same thing at HIS Costco for $3.99. Madness. Pork back ribs were $5.49/lb. More madness. I left both where they were. I have a prime brisket thawing right now from Wild Fork that was $4.98/lb. And I thought that was high. AND I found the pork ribs at my local grocery chain for $3.99/lb. You really need to be a smart shopper these days.

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              I can not figure out the pricing.
              It is strange indeed.

Some additional observations from today:

My local grocery chain had bone in chicken thighs and drumsticks shown for $0.99 per pound in their weekly flyer. I went to scoop up some thighs. They had one package of each in the case. The "sale" had been running for just two hours. More madness.
            Last edited by Jfrosty27; August 4, 2021, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I bought pork shoulder butt for $1.69/lb and pork spareribs for $1.49/lb last week at Smith's Market Place in Utah. Kroger brand out of Cincinnati, OH. Cryovac and previously frozen. Normal cost on both is $2.99/lb. I bought 3 of each, so I’m good for the rest of this year on ribs & pulled pork.

Comment

• jpietrantone
                jpietrantone commented
                Editing a comment
                Good for you. The grocery store near me wants $3.30/lb for butt. It was $1.99 normal everyday price just a few weeks ago.

To be in such a remote area we have a surprisingly large number of markets within 1 hour of us. We’ve subscribed to all their online sale adds. If you take a few minutes to check around there are still some buys to be had. I know being retired makes it easier to get the time to shop at that distance, but it’s working well for us. As an example I just bought 2 CAB briskets at $2.49 a lb. That’s not a steal, but at that price we’ll have very good brisket at a price I can live with.

Comment

I was at one of the Costcos I frequent last week. Choice flat cut of brisket was $8.99 pound and Prime whole was $4.99. I didn’t buy either since I’m a little intimidated about cutting a whole brisket and don't want to smoke it whole for fear of ruining it.

Comment

Was surprised to see Costco Prime whole packers at $3.99 (Indy area) yesterday - had been higher than that recently.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                    bbqLuv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Better get it when the getting it is good.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here