Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where’s the beef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where’s the beef?

I bought some brisket burger pucks from an online meat purveyor and have been somewhat disappointed. I’ve tried making smash burgers a couple times and when you smash them, they turn into maid rites or loose meats. The other day I tried forming them into patties and when I flipped them, they fell apart. They’re supposed to be 81/19, but I swear they are more like 60/40. I’m a bit new to smash burgers, so looking for some feedback before I complain to the source.

Mostly, does this look like 81/19 to any of you?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glitchy; May 30, 2021, 02:11 PM.

Smash burgers are usually done on a flat griddle. You start with a fairly tightly packed ball of meat then smash and shape it with a large flat turner/spatula. From the looks of your burgers it looks like you just need to pack them a little tighter as the large cracks are visible in the raw version, made larger by cooking.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the pic above is not smash burgers, those were trying patties after a couple disappointing rounds of smash burgers with them. I packed and packed them, I couldn’t get them to stick any better. I couldn’t even pick them up by hand without them falling apart.
      Last edited by glitchy; May 30, 2021, 02:13 PM.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn’t take pictures of the smash burgers they were so disappointing, but the bottom burger looks better than the best smash burger I’ve made with this meat.

• JohnPaul
      JohnPaul commented
      Editing a comment
      That is weird that you can't pack them any tighter. As you originally suggested the fat content might be higher than stated. Are trying to pack them at room or fridge temp? I've found I could make smoother more crack free with warmer ground meat.

I had a few burgers fall apart yesterday too but I think I let them warm up too much (meat was being turned into burgers for 1 hour) so I will chill them again before cooking next time.

Comment

Sure looks like higher fat to me. That will fall apart when smashing. 80/20 is good for smashing 70/30 is pushing it. Any more fat % than that and they won’t hold together. Better off with reverse seared thick burgers instead.

Comment

They do look much more fatty than 81/19. I have used 85/15 for smash burgers on the Blackstone twice and they came out perfect. One thing I do is use parchment between the smasher and the burger and be sure to let it set for 10 seconds before I release any pressure. Something I saw on YT.

Comment

I have done ground point and had a similar experience. The texture just seems off. Anymore I just grind up a chuckie that I eyeball at 80/20, never fails.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Oooh! The ol’ 80/20 eyeball trick eh?

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah it is point they claim. It’s a weird texture and grease makes the bun soggy and runs down your arm.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, FireMan, I eyeball a chuck roast in the package that looks about right. Never fails. Ever.

I enjoy a good burger with PBR
          Happy grilling to you
          Last edited by bbqLuv; May 31, 2021, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup....many PBRs

I made smash burgers last night on my new flattop, for the second time. Using some of the 100 lbs we got from a side and a 1/4 we got a few months ago. Not marked, but probably 85/15, no more than 80/20. Works great, except last night I got outside with everything, except the parchment paper. Still worked pretty good, the cheese helped hold it together.
          glitchy I hadn't really payed attention to who made the OP, until I got to "maid rites" and knew it was someone from Iowa, probably central Iowa.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here