Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest problem, errr, opportunity to excel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest problem, errr, opportunity to excel

I just pulled out my 14.3# prime SRF left side brisket to thaw. It is my Memorial Day weekend endeavor.

Much to my surprise, I laid it on my grill, and it will fit. This beauty is only about the third brisket I have ever done, and it deserves to be done perfectly.

Of course I have been through MH’s discussion of briskets, but I remain concerned about the difference in thickness from one end to the other.

Anybody want to chime in with tried and true advice before I embark on this one?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by richinlbrg; May 23, 2021, 10:58 AM.

Take the wrap off.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Good thinking!

Well, at least ya won’t look like bbqLuv hangin over the edge of the grill n’ such.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey! I resemble that remark.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      yes you do.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      At least he doesn’t have your eyes. 😳😂

The thick end is fatty and ignore it during the cook. DO NOT poke it and check for tenderness. DO NOT temp it. Just pay attention to the flat (the thickest area of the thinner end) and starting checking for probe tenderness around 190 internal.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Great advice - thank you!!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

I highly recommend cooking it before you serve it to friends.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries, no friends! LOL

Try lighting the pit, helps with cooking a lot.

But seriously, rotate it periodically during the cook to even out the heat exposure on all sides. Good luck and post pics!

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Only if it turns out well! LOL

Remove the cryovac before cooking, unless it is a cook-in-the bag brisket. Bag-O-Brisket.

Comment

Or you can separate the flat and the point and cook them separately. Here's a good brisket video from the founder of Dizzy Pig:

Comment

Put the hooks in the fat end before hanging in the PBC.

Comment

Your grill looks a little cold, you might want to light it.
          Also, I think the cryovac is a new way to wrap to power through the stall... I don't think it will be better than pink butcher paper or foil, but ya never know.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here