Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a relatively common food that you just can't eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a relatively common food that you just can't eat?

I'm not talking about preferences; for example, I prefer strip steaks to ribeyes absolutely, but I am not going to not eat a medium-rare ribeye that is sitting before me.

I'm talking about foods that "everyone else" seems to enjoy, but you just can't do it.

For me it's....crawfish. I just can't. I've had them a few times and....I think its the texture, which is weird as I can eat the planet's weight in shrimp.

I've been watching Malcom Reed / Mark Williams crawfish videos on their new Out The Smoke YouTube channel and wow the flavors they dump in that pot look amazing, but I just can't do it.

Olives.

All types.

I just can't.

Comment

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      what about in martinis?

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, i'll make a version of grapes that taste like sweaty feet! I'll call these: olives!

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed!

I must be weird one. I have not run across anything that I can recall that just would not eat.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm weird too, then. I can appreciate any type of food that is unlikely to make me sick or kill me and is skillfully prepared.

Brussel sprouts and broccoli. Hate em, yuk! Oh…and aardvark, never did like the taste. I know, I know..most people like em, just not me.
    Last edited by Panhead John; May 21, 2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Hate mushrooms in all forms! And mayonnaise!

Comment

• Rfhd69
        Rfhd69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Haaaaa. Sooooooo gross!

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Mushrooms are terrible

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        I hate Mayo as well.

Both my parents were raised on farms and did not eat anything they did not raise until they left the farms. And that's what they bought, and what I ate until I left home.

There are too many things for me to list them all, but I don't even like the smell of oily fish like tuna and salmon, much less the taste.

I was a teen when I had my first pizza, and an adult when I first had any ethnic food such as Mexican or Chinese. The list goes on and on.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I also fit quite neatly into this group...pass th gravy, please.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Willy - No they are not off limits. I love 'em both now.

• synodog
        synodog commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I’m ok with fresh tuna, but canned tuna? The worst!

Yoghurt (or 'yogurt'). Maybe it is because of the ghastly home-made stuff my mom made 60 years ago. To this day, I just gag on it in it's native state. MAYBE if it's in a recipe that includes baking and makes it not discernible.
      Last edited by BruceB; May 21, 2021, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Just the smell of yogurt makes me gag 🤢

Cream of Anything.... won't eat anything it's made with... Wife is from the Midwest, almost everything has cream of something in it. I feel terrible... I'll help her make it, just won't taste it.

Also hate potato salad, egg salad, chicken salad, tuna salad.... love potatoes, all variations of eggs, chicken and tuna.... love mayo and pretty much any ingredient in those types of salads, just won't eat them in that manner... also another midwest staple

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Not even SOS?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        SOS doesn't have "cream of ______" in it. SOS is horrid, but I love it

• Beefchop
        Beefchop commented
        Editing a comment
        This is so true. Every single casserole recipe from the Midwest calls for some kind of canned, cream-based soup!

Strawberries

Comment

• Dalmore
        Dalmore commented
        Editing a comment
        Elaborate

• Arsenlael
        Arsenlael commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm….hard to elaborate other than to say that I find the taste of strawberries to be gross and I can’t stand the little tiny seeds that make the mouth feel even more off-putting. But most people seem to LOOOOVE strawberries.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I find the seeds of strawberries hard to pass.

y'all are weird. There's no common food I wont eat. My only "Nope" are slimy textured things, e.g. sea urchin but I can't call urchin common.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        I've rarely had it (Seattle, remember). From what I've been told, okra isn't slimy if it's prepared correctly?

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, okra can be made many ways, fried of course wouldn’t be slimy. But some people think if it’s boiled or simmered in a recipe, they call it a slimy. I never agreed with that though myself.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        My Grandfather said okra was so slimy that it was in the chair when he got up from eating it.

Turnips, rhubarb, rutabaga, parsnips and durian. Well, durian is common in Asia.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
        Oakgrovebacon commented
        Editing a comment
        Turnips are good raw, as in peel and munch on like an apple.
        Any cooked turnip is not going in my mouth.

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        i'm thrown by the rhubarb! you don't like tart cherry flavored celery?

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        Durian is in a class by itself. The taste is pretty horrible but the smell is worse. I describe it as rotten onion and a dirty diaper strained through an old gym sock. I had some in Indonesia and when I got home I searched all the Asian markets here to get some so my friends could all share my pain.

Tomatoes.

They are fine when cooked, but raw? No way, Jose.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely hated raw mater, as a child...sauce, ketchup, mater products was fine...but I would urp in my mouth, watchin someone eat a fresh from our garden mater like it was an orchard apple: mater in one hand, salt shaker in t'other, an consume it in my presence...
        Loves me some maters now, natch, garden fresh, make some pico, in a salad, on a Quality homemade burgesa, BLT.
        Rather face a rabid pitbull with a plastic butterknife than them ghastly maters th stores have in Winter, still

• gwschenk
        gwschenk commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark V, I grew up in the bottoms of Pigeon Creek in southern Indiana. A genuine hillbilly. One of my chores was picking those horned worms off of the tomatoes in the home garden. I hated tomatoes and I hated those devil's spawn worms.

So the answer is; Yes!

• pknj
        pknj commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh I am so glad to this here. My personal Shame is I cannot handle a raw tomato. I just...can't. Cooked, fine, but raw? Physically can't do it. I am not alone!!!!!

Bologna and definitely most cheeses.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        That would appear to limit one's sammich options, dramatically, from where I set, Mark.
        but
        Given yer creative ability, mad skills, an demonstrated ingenuity, my danged money is on th fact that ya could make ma a sammich without either that would blow.my.mind., Brother!

Might share summa dat out there on yer website; ya cain't be th onliest one with similar dislikes...(this much, I know about Math )

With much respect, and Best Wishes, Brother...
        Be safe an well, alla yall!

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Try soy cheese. They make soy cheese here in Oregon.

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't found any soy cheese I'm particularly fond of, and some is downright awful. Luckily Kraft shredded mozzarella and Cabot cheddars are lactose-free, so that takes care of pizza and sandwich needs.

Liver. Sea urchin— can’t remember if I tried urchin itself or roe.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t like star fish or sea horses myself, but I love penguin.

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        Willy I'm with you on liver. Have tried many times and cannot like it. Unless it is fresh deer or elk liver then I am fine. Not sure why that is and will leave that up to the experts here to maybe explain.

Just want to add of all foods I have tried (and I have tried many) liver is the only one I just cannot eat.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Growin up, we et enough fried liver an onions, (sometimes with gravy), to fully satiate my lifetime desire, or need fer said dish.
        Liked it jus fine, as a boychild...have never felt compelled to order it, or prepare it, as an adult...

Beets get a hard pass from me. Might as well eat a fistful of dirt

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Curious...
        Have ya ever tried pickled beets?
        Might could give em a go, see what ya think...
        I'd be interested in hearin yer thoughts...

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        BTW
        Re: Dirt

We'uns usedta eat a wholle lotta dirt, at times, to feel full...

Don't let this here git around, but we'uns often hadda wait 'til after dark, to have supper...

Once th Sun was set, an it was proper dark, why, we'd sneak all under, or straddle th neighbours fences, an eat dirt until our sides was a bulgin, on accounta we was way too poor to afford havin any our very own dirt.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 22, 2021, 11:30 AM.

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        Pickled beets in a jar have ruined a lot of folks on beets. That’s a lousy thing to do to them. But properly roasted over charcoal or wrapped in foil in the oven are sweet and delish to me. Beets are used to make a lot of the sugar you buy. Just sayin’

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here