Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something To Cook On A Cast Iron For A Group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something To Cook On A Cast Iron For A Group?

Hey all, this Sunday my wife & I are going to visit some friends who just moved to Atlanta. One of them is just getting into cooking, and talking to him I learned he didn't have a cast iron skillet yet. So we got him an 8" cast iron skillet as a housewarming gift to take down this weekend

I thought it would be fun to take down something to show him how to cook on it, as part of us making a few items of food. He doesn't have a grill, just standard oven+stove. At first I was thinking a steak; I can make a pretty decent ribeye on a cast iron. That might be a bit too little food though, because there's gonna be 5 people there. We will have other dishes so maybe it'd be fine, everyone could just have a little bit of steak with whatever stuff we'd fix

But I thought y'all might have some ideas as well. What's something simple I could show my friend (beginner chef) to do on the cast iron we got him, to share with 5 people along with other items we might make?

All advice appreciated!

You make one, he makes one. Now you've got two steaks!

I hope he has a good exhaust fan.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      You could always check Craigslist for a decent used charcoal Weber for sale.

• BradNorthGA
      BradNorthGA commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm seriously thinking about taking my cast iron as well, and doing two of them side-by-side. That'd work well anyways since I am wanting to also show him how to make stuff

I'm a big fan of cube steaks on cast iron. they cook pretty quick so can let first batch rest while working the second. whip up some creamy mashed potatoes, gravy, grilled onions and a green of your choice and you're looking at some good eatin'!

Comment

Cook a chicken.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_0qwuHXDiYB9pZeAKvuRK319JpjiYGrYam-LYqfc6g3cG40488SewupvDv2yjorfQXO7NYYwlqwwkYt1ooyXlnTeV6xh-M_MHZ-U_37Ed3KFXOcrKj37y0qdPgxIHaOisQKxgc8nSEQ7Nltkt3kDsjF9DLQoWCkoxUvrvcvBRdx7kK49lRPFAc2b-9tQKxnwQn3CJqO-Sq05kslaa0TCgMnKMmhsFb-4OLWj7EhwE0sf4-P8v_YTVBKqUB868mi
Views:	209
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	1033493

Click image for larger version

Name:	TiesRvf4kAHbrstARZg59OBlcCfNxPYHL9H8bz-u6Cb3XjCxRQl0HkAEdtd551OXJ61unjtcowtxgT06zakgg9vHQjmllq48L5eTzdKs8CpzOQA5-JapoXtkAGPtbztJHhNRm279vx7rqnDqiinTX2L0x_ZSzzYQwXm7C2aeiQ9OFwOG_upXjOE2J6iLjdvDkXw-RYUpdpmU3yiZJBS_MqaXqeNoC7mMeB3KYZPMPa7cpCibjt6lHDUApvDLWHk
Views:	196
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	1033494

This isn’t the crisp-skinned, high-heat-roast chicken you’re probably familiar with. Instead, it’s a melt-in-your-mouth tender, schmaltzy, slow-roast version that’s more akin to a rotisserie chicken than anything else, except (bonus!) it gets slathered in gochujang!

Comment

Being only an 8” pan, cooking for 5 people might be a little bit of a challenge. Blackened catfish, Ribeyes or pork chops would be a good bet. I really like Louisiana Brand Blackened Seasoning. You can maybe fit 2 at a time in there, possibly. As mentioned above, have a good exhaust fan or open some windows. You could do one or two at a time and keep the cooked ones warm in the oven till everybody’s is done.
      Last edited by Panhead John; May 19, 2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I think maybe a side dish. 5 people and an 8" pan doesnt really mix.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point. Take the 8" back and get a 12" or 10" at a minimum.

• BradNorthGA
        BradNorthGA commented
        Editing a comment
        Taking back the 8" to trade isn't an option at all, we couldn't do all that before Sunday

Whatever is gonna be cooked in the cast iron is only on of the dishes we'll make, so it's doable.

I am actually thinking about bringing my cast iron also and cooking with two of them side by side. Good for instruction purposes as well if I do it this way

Shrimp Scampi ..... you are making the noodles in a different pot, so no need to overly worry about too small on the cast iron.

Comment

• BradNorthGA
        BradNorthGA commented
        Editing a comment
        I've actually never made shrimp scampi but I'd love to try it out. Do you got a good recipe?

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        You could certainly do it in a cast iron pan though I'm inclined to reach for a stainless pan for citrus dishes.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Here’s a pretty good recipe. I just make it, don’t really have my own recipe written up.

Shrimp Scampi! It's deliciously saucy, perfectly rich and buttery and amazingly flavorful! This easy shrimp recipe can be made in under 30 minutes with no This shrimp scampi recipe can be made in under 30 minutes with no hassle or stress. It makes for the perfect for garlicky lemon pasta dinner everyone will love.

How about a nice meaty smoked queso in that new iron?

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        2nd this one

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        3rd

You could a small side, like roasted potatoes or Brussel sprouts. Easy to do, and adds to the overall meal. Or, a dessert, like a cobbler.

But if you go with the roasting veg, it also helps with the seasoning of the pan.
      Last edited by barelfly; May 19, 2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I would vote for chicken thighs..

Comment

Jalapeño corn bread,,,

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Good call, an a favourite here...sometimes I also adds me in some sharp cheddar...

An 8" skillet is fine cooking for 1, maybe 2 folks at the most. I think it might be a decent size for a skillet corn bread in the oven, but for steaks and chops, limited to 1 or maybe 2 at a time. I can think of a lot of 1 skillet meals, but most of it requires a 10-12 inch skillet.

Basically, an 8" CI skillet is useful for anything you would use any 8" skillet for. I use that size mostly for eggs and omelets.

How about this - a pan pizza? I do a really good pizza in a 12" Lodge. Or smash burgers? You ought to be able to do a couple burgers at a time in that thing. Hopefully this will be his gateway to more CI.

Comment

Just popped into my head. The best thing that you could do with an 8" skillet is make skillet queso. It's a nice, shareable dish, and easy to make.

Lodge has a recipe: https://www.lodgecastiron.com/recipe/quick-cheese-dip

Here is a page that has 17 skillet dip recipes: https://www.wideopeneats.com/17-dips...-iron-skillet/

I think you could spice it up by browning and cooking maybe a 1/2 pound or so of sausage or seasoned ground beef in the skillet, drain, then start mixing in the cheese and other ingredients.

Comment

• BradNorthGA
              BradNorthGA commented
              Editing a comment
              Really liking this idea actually

Hey everyone, thanks a ton for the advice. Thought about it some more, talked to the wife and decided to go with the cast iron queso. This is perfect since we are gonna be watching a ball game down there with them anyways

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              great idea

Another outside the box recipe I’ve done that shows off versatility is baking in a cast iron skillet. I’ve made this M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie and it turns out fantastic.

A M&M chocolate chip cookie that slices like a pie; all baked in one skillet and beautifully presented. Top with ice cream to make it extra special!

Comment

A frittata the next morning gives a good demonstration of the stovetop to oven transition cast iron does so well.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Thats exactly what i was going to say.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here