Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World class BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World class BBQ

So I'm still really new here but I've noticed that we have members from all over the globe. I love all the different recipes posted and I was wondering, what would be considered BBQ in your country that we in America would consider different. I mean are we all smoking beef, pork, chicken etc. in the same way essentially. Or is there a BBQ dish that's distinctive in your country?

Funny you should ask. Now I know it’s not just Wisconsin, probably Mich. Minn. Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, the northernly confines, has a delicacy that needs to be delicately handled low, low & slow, bloated wood ticks slathered in bbq sauce. We are still a bit a way from the seasonal thing.

Comment

• Dick Anderson
      Dick Anderson commented
      Editing a comment
      Not out here at the coast, FireMan! I pulled 5 of the little buggers off of my grandson, after a couple hours at the cabin. Bad year, here.
      All of them the little guys that won't cook, decent.

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      That is soooo wrong, on so many levels...

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah the ticks are really bad around there this year too.
      I just bite em back.

These parts, cold smoked Mint Oreo creme filled cookies comes to mind...

Comment

Cockroach skewers over red oak.
      Ants in a foil packet with white wine and herbs/garlic.

^ they started it.....

Comment

Oy, I feel a Panhead John recipe comin' down the pike....

Seriously though, and having travelled internationally A LOT, I think the methods of prepping (rubs, marinades, spices used, sauces, quality/nature of the meat itself) plus methods of Q'ing (type of cooker, open pit, woods/fuels used, lo-n-slo versus hot-n-fast versus roasted/wrapped, buried, on and on..) produce a huge range of different flavors.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, seriously.......

What I love about Texas BBQ is that it is not the same from place to place. There are about 4 different regional styles in Texas (Warning: way over simplified descriptions below):

East Texas - slow cooked using hickory and oak, pork predominates but a lot of beef is cooked too. More like the BBQ found in the southern U.S. Lots of seasoning and sauce is common.

Central Texas - this is what everyone raves about and where some of the top BBQ joints such as Snow's, Black's, Louie Mueller's, and Franklin's are located. Low and slow beef seasoned with only salt and pepper cooked over indirect heat (offset smokers predominate) using mostly post oak. Started with the meat markets run by European immigrants - left over tough cuts of meat was smoked to prevent spoilage and usually sold out the back door to laborers - no plates and only bread or crackers to accompany it. Many places still serve on butcher paper and do not have forks. Rarely is sauce used or served.

South Texas - Definite Latin influence. Pork, beef, goat, and sheep are common. Often cooked in a hole in the ground and served as tacos (barbacoa - yum!).

West/Hill Country Texas styles - cooked over direct heat of mesquite coals. Olde Tyme BBQs seen at political rallies in Texas back in the early 1900s were mostly this way, often a trench was dug into the ground, wood burned down to coals in the trench, and a grate placed over the top of the trench for cooking. LBJ used to throw BBQs cooked this way while president.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, Texas probably has the most diverse styles of cooking BBQ of any place I have visited followed by the Carolina's.
          Obviously I haven't been everywhere, New Orleans, Memphis and Kansas City's BBQ come to mind, but this is my limited experience.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice write up and summary of Texas BBQ styles! Thanks!

Here in Michigan the mosquitoes are the size of pterodactyls and are quite good cooked low/slow.

Comment

Cheese curds and any sort of alcohol in LaCrosse Wi

Comment

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            Best curds in town is slowly catching up to best fish fry in terms of ability to start an argument.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Stop me if you heard this before..... I would chew my arm off for walleye pike!

Santa Maria style Tri tip I’m sure is the most known for California but I’d say there’s quite the melting pot of influences here. Especially in Southern California.

Comment

Very good question. I spent a lot of time overseas, mostly in Africa and South and Central America, and the actual preparations were very similar to what we do here, after all, it’s basically meat and fire.. What differed was the rubs, sauces, wood used, and side dishes. It would be interesting to hear of some unique take on the general theme.

Comment

• Starsky
              Starsky commented
              Editing a comment
              This is sort of where I was going with this. I'd like to hear what spices are used in other parts of the world. You can look up recipes of course but I'd like to hear what our members have created

Henrik where are you? He could talk about European styles.

Also I hear tell old Spinaker smokes a mean Lutefisk that’s quit tasty !!!

Comment

So, Starsky, we didn’t sort of get it the first time around. We can be a little rowdy at times. 🙃

Comment

Went to a festival in Nippon Japan with a group of Boy Scouts a little over 10 years ago where they had all kinds of grilled skewered items including baby octopus, grass hoppers, scorpions, etc. Did not partake.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-04-28_8-51-49.jpg Views:	68 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	1023930Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-04-28_8-52-13.jpg Views:	68 Size:	197.6 KB ID:	1023931
                Attached Files
                Last edited by bep35; April 29, 2021, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hard pass.... I’m rather adventurous, but not grasshopper adventurous.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So when one is gnawing on octopus on a stick, do you eat the "head" first, or the tentacles? Inquiring minds want to know...

• bep35
                  bep35 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I could not, would not, on a boat.
                  I will not, will not, with a goat.
                  I will not eat them in the rain.
                  Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
                  Not in a car! You let me be!
                  I do not like them in a box.
                  I do not like them with a fox.
                  I will not eat them in a house.
                  I do not like them with a mouse.
                  I do not like them here or there.
                  I do not like them anywhere!
                  I do not like octopus and bugs!
                  I would only eat them if on drugs!

Sweden has always been big on grilling, not so much smoking and traditional American bbq. But it’s slowly but surely changing.

Comment

Good question. I wish there were more international members giving input. In Michigan, I make Michigan BBQ. Which is what Texans call "Texas BBQ", I just make it in Michigan. I make it on hot days and in the snow. It's the same meat, smoke and seasonings anyone else anywhere else uses.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here