Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have dip, dressing, sauce, other condiment hacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Regular Franks whisked with melted butter is my wing sauce go to.

• Polarbear777
    replied
    Here’s mine. can be scaled to one egg if needed.

Made this up since I’ve been making mayo for a while now. Finally got around to writing it up. Ingredients Immersion (stick) blender. High-sided blending,

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee Thanks for sharing thoughts. I will say I cannot usually stand any fat free dressings, but some of the lights are OK. If I don’t love it first try with light, I’ll give the regular stuff a shot.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I suppose the light vrs would work fine, never tried it. There's enough fat in the wings and other things going on that it likely wouldn't be noticeable.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    glitchy Crap I forgot to count BBQ sauces, haha. Or relishes. Also a whole shelf of various pickles and olives.

Not sure how the well the light version works, as Huskee stressed regular and I never tried the light.

I've not tried hot sauce or spicy mayo in a chicken salad, but have used diced jalapeños.

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    Definitely going to try that wing sauce. Wife always has Newman's (light) Creamy Ceaser in the fridge. I don't know if I've ever tried spicy ketchup yet either, so need to give that a shot. Mayo is just OK to me, great in some things, but not an everyday thing, probably use ranch more on sandwiches than mayo. If I think of something I might like it in going to give that one a shot. Ever tried as a spicy mayo chicken salad?

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    There's a whole shelf in our fridge and one of the doors full of just what you described. I'm missing the liquified salted anchovies and don't have a variety of mustards. There's probably at least 6 different BBQ sauces, even more hot sauces, and several salad dressings, and at least a couple salsa varieties at any given time along with the usual ketchup, mayo, sour cream, soy sauce, etc. The Worchestershire, Malt Vinegar, and the dreaded liquid smoke still live in the cupboard.

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    Frank's wing sauce. Tastes great on just about everything and available in most grocery stores. I keep a bottle on hand at all times and use it a LOT. It keeps nearly forever in the fridge too. Give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    My son loves Cane's sauce, I might have to try that for him sometime. Personally, I prefer to get them to go and have my chipotle ranch at home. Though this give's me some room to tweak it a bit. Thanks!

• ssandy_561
    replied
    Raising Cane's Chicken Tender Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup mayo
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 tsp Worchestire sauce
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I am thankful that my wife and son have always enjoyed spicy food and various sauces. Until adulthood, both of my daughters considered ketchup to be about the spiciest condiment they could handle, haha. Anyway, some hacks I've used:

1. Duke's Mayo mixed with Tabasco brand sriracha, mixed to taste. This is a good dipping sauce for artichokes.

2. Frank's Red Hot sauce mixed 50/50 with Newman's Own Creamy Caesar Dressing. This is a great wing sauce - courtesy of Huskee.

3. Spicy Ketchup. Rather than buy this (often hard to find and always in tiny bottles), just mix some regular ketchup with the hot sauce of your choice.

Don't really have any other quick hacks off the top of my head. We are condiment folks, and if I looked in the pantry and fridge right now, would probably find two dozen bottles of stuff such as:

Soy sauce, fish sauce, Dale's Sauce, Worchestershire sauce, A1 steak sauce, Yum Yum sauce, Teriyaki sauce (both thick and thin), Spicy ketchup, regular ketchup, Duke's mayo (squirt bottle and quart jar), yellow mustard, Zaiterrains Creole Mustard, Dijon Mustard, Chick-Fil-A sauce, taco sauce, picante sauce, guacamole salsa, mild and medium Pace salsa, sour cream, greek yogurt..... the list goes on and on.... and this doesn't include salad dressings!

Good thing we have multiple full sized refrigerators!
    Last edited by jfmorris; April 12, 2021, 08:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Garlic mayo, (stolen from Clint and riffed) 1/4c catsoup/squirt of KC BBQ sauce/tbsp or 2 of balsamic vinegar, catsoup with a few dashes of favorite hot sauce, and my latest favorite: Duke's Alabama White Sauce (available at https://www.dukesmayo.com/ )
    Last edited by CaptainMike; April 12, 2021, 03:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    started a topic Do you have dip, dressing, sauce, other condiment hacks?

Do you have dip, dressing, sauce, other condiment hacks?

My wife and daughter are both pretty, well extremely, picky and won't hardly even try condiments, dressings, and sauces. So, I'm regularly looking for things I can make in in quantities for a meal or two ranging from a couple TBs to a 1/2 cup from regular fridge and pantry ingredients, rather than big batches that the majority of which usually ends up in the garbage. Buying a bunch of different fresh herbs to make a Chimichurri sauce for just myself to eat is a pretty expensive sauce for using a couple TBs.

The regulars in my quick hack arsenal are:
    1. Southwest/Spicy Ranch - Hidden Valley buttermilk ranch with Tabasco or Cholula chipotle hot sauce. This is great for french fries, chicken strips, chicken wraps, etc. I'm guessing it would be good on a salad, but I love ranch dressing on everything BUT lettuce for some reason.

2. Taco salad dressing - 2 parts Kraft Zesty Italian to 1 part taco sauce (usually Ortega mild, or packets of Taco John's mild sauce). Recipe came from Taco John's "House" dressing...when they quit offering it, a manager told me what it really was.

3. Mexican Sour Cream Dip - sour cream with Cholula regular hot sauce. I usually eat salsa with tortilla chips, but occasionally you just want something different. Also, works on some Mexican dishes. Could probably experiment with hot sauces for different food pairings, but the regular makes a solid chip dip.
    Last edited by glitchy; April 12, 2021, 01:05 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here