Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buttermilk powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buttermilk powder

Has anyone ever used Buttermilk Powder for a Dry Brine

Wasn't even aware you got buttermilk powder. I do use buttermilk as a marinade. Keen to hear more.

Comment

I have some and have not used it. My guess is that if you are using it in a recipe it will work just fine. I have been meaning to try it in biscuits.

Comment

I’ve used it in cornbread with good results. Hadn’t thought about brining with it. Hmmm...

Comment

It is in HouseHomey's andouille recipe. I keep some on hand for that, but I have never used it for anything else

Comment

Not me. It seems like it will tack up. Protein and all.

Comment

Never thought about using it as a brine. I do use it a lot for pancakes with great results though.

Comment

I've never tried it but I did find an article on it:
                I love soaking chicken in buttermilk. It is a truly unmatched marinade. The lactic acid tenderizes and flavors the meat, and the proteins accelerate

Comment

I guess I think of a dry brine as being salt. So, no, I'd not use buttermilk powder as a dry brine.

But I sure can see using buttermilk powder as a rub or seasoning ingredient. Some people like to use Ranch seasoning packets as the basis for a chicken seasoning, and buttermilk plays a big role in this type of flavoring.

Here's a short article talking about other ways to use buttermilk powder besides biscuits and bread -- https://www.thekitchn.com/buttermilk...-uses-23048264 A short quote --

"...Buttermilk grilled chicken is one of my family’s favorite meals, and with buttermilk powder I can replicate the taste in half the time. You can also combine buttermilk powder with garlic and onion powders for a simple rub for grilled or roasted chicken, pork, or eggplant...."

Comment

I use it in all my smoked sausages. It helps bind everything together and works as a moisture retainer. I use just regular milk powder. Not sure the purpose of using it in a dry brine but heck I have been wrong before

Comment

I doubt that buttermilk powder would penetrate the meat surface. Actually, I doubt anything penetrates, besides salt

Comment

i say run with it. report back.

But. Also. what are the ingredients of buttermilk powder? is it like corn startch? corn startch is an easy make chicken crispy Chinese cooking hack plus thickener. Could it help create tasty bark?

Comment

A timely post on Lifehacker - Make a Dry Brine With Buttermilk Powder (lifehacker.com)

Comment

Like Backroadmeats , we use buttermilk powder as a binder in sausage where we want to add mild acidity (tang). We also reconstitute it for marinades particularly for fish. Have never used in as a dry brine though.

Fun fact (AKA useless information) that I picked up somewhere in my culinary travels: Grocery store buttermilk has nothing to do with the manufacture of butter, it is a product made by adding a lactic acid bacteria culture to ferment milk (usually low or no fat). Hence it will be labeled "cultured buttermilk". Maybe if you want historically accurate buttermilk, you have to churn your own butter.
                            Last edited by johnec00; March 17, 2021, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here