Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butterflied Leg of Lamb w/Elevated Grate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butterflied Leg of Lamb w/Elevated Grate

Grilling 12X27" butterflied leg indirectly on a 22" Performer. I cut it 2/3-1/3 and am going to use the SnS Elevated grate for the smaller portion, a bit thinner than the larger cut. Main grate temp will probably be around 300-325. At elevated temps around +10%-15% higher than the main grate, I'm guessing the smaller cut will take around 3/4 the time to cook. Sound about right to you? Any suggestions for managing the cook? Thanks!

Certainly sounds good, which I had a better recommendation but I normally keep my boneless legged rolled up after I butterfly and apply the Dolly's Lamb Rub.

Comment

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      Never thought about rolling and have never done it. Do you tie it in a multilayered roll and grill away? Please tell me more!

• Davek8282
      Davek8282 commented
      Editing a comment
      fkrall. that's exactly what I did and then grilled to desired internal temp (hopefully medium rare)

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      +1
      Just when you roll it back up, try to keep it in a uniform shape, like a log, so it all cooks at the same rate.
      Last edited by HawkerXP; March 6, 2021, 05:23 PM.

If you’re going to flay it open, tie it to a spit and cook it on a rotisserie, if you have one that is. They come out great that way 👍

Comment

My only suggestion is to make sure you don't overcook, I take ours off just prior to 130 internal but I cook it at 250. At 300-325 you will get a little more carryover and for our tastes lamb gets a little tough north of 135. Good luck and we want pics.

Comment

All advice good and noted with thanks. And Redwng , I'll try to remember the pics!

Comment

Leg-O-Lamb paired with Mint-Jelly. Got to love it,
          Butterflied for even grilling to just the perfect internal temps.

Comment

I do deboned leg of lamb that's rested overnight in a Greek marinade (not my own from the butcher I get the lamb) and have always cooked over live fire (not furiously hot).
            My favourite lamb dish that doesn't get enough attention because of pricing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here