Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb ribs

I've seen recently in my local shop some lamb ribs. Unsurprisingly there's less meat and they're considerably smaller than pork, however I'd like to give them a go as I really like the flavor of lamb.

Has anyone any advice on how to smoke them?

Many thanks.

I tried them once but I'm not a fan, more fat than meat and very little of both was my experience. Maybe I just didn't choose the ribs wisely, give me a rack of lamb any day 😛

Comment

I follow the jess pryles "recipe". 275 until a skewer can push through easily. I dont remember exactly how long it takes, i want to say about 3 hours but its been a little while. Absolutely delicious though and well worth it if you like lamb and fat.

Ribs are one of the most incredibly flavorful cuts of lamb - fatty and rich enough to smoke to perfection in 3 hours. Try this recipe for smoked lamb ribs.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        here we go Monopauly, i know i got the 3 hours from somewhere in the depths of my brain. In the past i had bought them porter road and the link below has recommended cooking. Key being low and slow or hot and fast with flipping to render some of the fat.

Pasture-raised beef, pork, lamb, and chicken delivered straight to your door. Free of antibiotics, hormones, and GMOs. All of our beef is dry aged for 14 days! Shop better meat per piece or per month with Butcher's Choice Subscription Boxes at Porter Road.
        Last edited by grantgallagher; March 5, 2021, 09:52 AM.

I'm with Stuey on this one. I only tried them once, so there is a very good chance I picked the wrong ones, but after treating them like pork ribs, there was a ton of fat, and very little meat to be found. It may well be that you just can't treat lamb ribs the same way you do pork, and that was the real issue. Don't know for sure because after the first try, I bailed on ribs and stick to shanks, shoulders, legs and loins.
      If you do happen to find a way that works well, please post a follow up! I'd be more than willing to give them another try if there is a way to make it worth the effort.
      Last edited by willxfmr; March 5, 2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Many, many years ago, we used to get what were called lamb riblets. I'm not sure where these specifically came from, but assumed they were the tips of the rib section, about 3-4" long. Yes, very fatty, but we loved them cooked fast and hot on a charcoal grill. Slathered in a sweet ketchup, lemon slice/juice and onion sliced sauce my mother made. A bit charred outside from the sugary sauce, and medium cooked inside. I really wish I could find lamb ribs or riblets around here.

I would try mgaretz Blasphemy Ribs method. Slice them individually, smoke at 225* for 2-2/12 hours, sauced in the last 1/2 hour. That should help render the fat. Cherry wood for sweetness.

Comment

I would cook them hot and fast over a good charcoal fire. Flip them about every 20 seconds or so and add some wood to the fire right before you start. That will give you a hint of smoke and a great char on the ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by grantgallagher View Post
            I follow the jess pryles "recipe". 275 until a skewer can push through easily. I dont remember exactly how long it takes, i want to say about 3 hours but its been a little while. Absolutely delicious though and well worth it if you like lamb and fat.

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/smoked-lamb-ribs/
            Thanks Grant. I found Jess Pryles article just after posting this, so will give it a go.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. I'll try the Jess Pryles method and let you know.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here