Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a whole mutton sheep. Recipes/suggestions needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a whole mutton sheep. Recipes/suggestions needed.

I've managed to negotiate the slaughter and processing of a whole 3 year old, 147 lb ewe from a local farmer for mutton. I've been dying to try it ever since hearing about Owensboro, KY bbq, and also since I'm a fan of all things English. But I've never cooked mutton before.

I get to tell them how I want it cut. Anyone have any input there?

I have a pit barrel cooker, and I"m planning to smoke the shoulders Owensboro style with worcestershire dip. I'll also smoke the ribs from the breast (like St. Louis short ribs).

All other cuts are totally up for grabs in terms of how I'll cook them. Probably do a couple mutton chops from the loin.

I'm looking for anyone with any experience of mutton who can recommend how various cuts should be cooked and maybe point me in the direction of good recipes.

Mutton is so rare these days that it's hard to find any good info on how things should be cooked. For instance, can I cook the leg of mutton like I would leg of lamb, or is it too old and tough, so that it would be better low and slow as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'll be picking up the mutton in just over a week. If you have ANY experience with mutton, please chime in!!!

Generally low n slow except for the chops. Legs shanks are the best part... Grew up on mutton as well as beef. (A few ewes would show up on our farm after walking through the bush from the neighbors farm 10 km away).

Comment

Since a mutton is an older sheep it can have a little stronger "game" flavor. Braised in a tomato sauce or marinaded in some yogurt helps tame that strong flavor.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, sorry, I can't help but please take us with you on this journey.

Comment

• rustrose
          rustrose commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do! My friend and I will be taking turns cooking up different recipes. I'll make sure to get some pictures and post our results. This forum needs a little bulking up, and I'm glad to be of service!

Originally posted by Ahumadora View Post
        Generally low n slow except for the chops. Legs shanks are the best part... Grew up on mutton as well as beef. (A few ewes would show up on our farm after walking through the bush from the neighbors farm 10 km away).
        We are getting the loin section cut into chops, and the racks will be split so that one is a whole rack and the other is rib chops.

Can I treat the chops like I would a lamb chop or a steak? Reverse sear to medium rare?

I do have some plans to cook up at least some of the shanks... saw some delicious looking Persian braised lamb shanks on a Hulu show called Taste the Nation.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep exact right. Sounds like a plan

Originally posted by Dadof3Illinois View Post
        Since a mutton is an older sheep it can have a little stronger "game" flavor. Braised in a tomato sauce or marinaded in some yogurt helps tame that strong flavor.
        Marinated in yogurt sounds like a good idea, and the type of thing they'd do in places where they still eat this kind of thing, like India and the middle East. I might have to do some kind of Indian thing with the leg.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here