Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb shoulder

Hi all,

My Louisiana grills 24 inch kamado finally turned up last week, just on time for a post lockdown gathering of friends. Seeing as my Fornetto Razzo (bullet smoker) was on ribs duty (7 racks) I decided to smoke my lamb shoulder on the kamado.

It was just under 7lbs so I dry brined it the night before. I made my own rub that consisted of English mustard powder, dried thyme, dried rosemary, ground black pepper, paprika, brown sugar and granulated garlic.

Put it on the kamado with two chunks of air dried Oak and cooked it between 275 and 300f for just under 7 hours to 203 internal.

Came out beautifully, everybody did it was the best lamb they've ever had. I think that was probably the post lockdown delirium

Apologies for the lack of a decent pulled photo, everybody smashed it before I had a chance to take one.
    Attached Files

Beautiful. That photo of the whole shoulder on the que looks like a pic out of a food magazine. I love lamb, but the wife is not very fond of it . Great job Deano (which happens to be my name as well).

Cheers

Comment

That's beautiful! And I am soooo jealous since I have never even seen a lamb shoulder, let alone cooked one.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
        Beautiful. That photo of the whole shoulder on the que looks like a pic out of a food magazine. I love lamb, but the wife is not very fond of it ​. Great job Deano (which happens to be my name as well).

Cheers ​
        Thanks, it tasted even better than it looked. Luckily my wife loves lamb (she is Greek after all!) so I smoke lamb a lot. Had only done legs and shanks previously and although they were good, shoulder blew them out of the water as had much better marbling. Will be my go to lamb selection from now on. Cheers to a fellow Deano ​

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
        That's beautiful! And I am soooo jealous since I have never even seen a lamb shoulder, let alone cooked one.
        Thank you for the kind words. Fortunately lamb is plentiful in the UK. Beef brisket on the other hand...

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Lamb shoulder contains more fat and connective tissue, that’s why. Always a winner. Great cook!!

Bet that was good !!! Big lamb lover here, looks like you roasted it just right !!

Comment

I have never been a fan of lamb, but I really like low and slow lamb shoulder. I did a leg once and that was good also. I would do it more often, but it is really expensive in my part of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
            Bet that was good !!! Big lamb lover here, looks like you roasted it just right !!
            It was tasty, I barely got to taste it, managed one roll.

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
            I have never been a fan of lamb, but I really like low and slow lamb shoulder. I did a leg once and that was good also. I would do it more often, but it is really expensive in my part of the country.
            I think lamb is quite an acquired taste. In lucky enough to have a few farms near me so lamb or mutton isn't too badly priced.

Comment

Love lamb and that looks fantastic!!

Comment

I’d eat it fer sure !!!!

Comment

My dad was gutted to have missed out on this so did another shoulder the following week, just for him (week me and my sister too!).

Kept it at 300 for the whole cook this time and used some whiskey Oak barrel chunks I'd picked up. I think it came out even better, even if I do say so myself.

Served with some homemade slaw and brioche buns and red wine

Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here