Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb Chop Lollipop Fat Cap Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb Chop Lollipop Fat Cap Test

I'm trying the Lamb Chop Lollipops for the first time. In the process, I read the piece here on Fat Caps, so I began cutting away. Halfway through, I started to think I was getting a bit over-zealous. So I've now got two racks that I plan on cooking up - one as I bought it (left), and one that I cut down to be a bit more lean and naked. Any advice / predictions / thoughts?

take the fat off. Lamb fat is really gamey.
    French the bones a little.
    Keep it simple with lamb. Salt ahead of time, make a paste of garlic, cumin (lamb loves cumin) rosemary with a high smoke point oil (I use ghee) and rub it all over.

Cook indirect until 10 degrees shy of your preffered serving temp the SLAP em over HOT coals.

Resist the temptation to add wood chunks.

Comment

Ernest that sounds great. I started hung in the pbc then over to the 22 I just acquired for a sear. Go figure I did it right. I went with a rub recipe from AR ,mustard then spices mixed with breadcrumb. I burnt the breadcrumb so your way is next. Still was delicious.

Comment

kranknhank I don't bother searing when I use the PBC

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks yumeee Ernest . What is that 'sauce' on the bottom if i may ask?

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve Vojtek it's orange marmalade some Sherry vinegar, Aleppo peppers and mint.
          No formula, start with marmalade, add peppers and vinegar and start tasting. Need more heat add more pepper, need more tang, add more vinegar. Round it off with sea salt.

The guests asked me to cook it medium to well done. I hung babybacks first then added the lamb . My ribs were done but lamb was rare hence the sear. The beautiful thing about this type of cooking is it tastes great whatever way its done. A full term hang with your cumin rub will be done next time.
        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here