Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Leg of Lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Leg of Lamb

Putting one on the smoker today and was considering a butter baste with rosemary, garlic etc.
    My question: Since butter has a fairly low burn point (95 degrees from what I’ve seen), my plan was to start basting toward the end of the cook to avoid a burnt butter taste. Y’all think that’s the right way to go or can I start a little earlier?

One trick i have seen online for frying is to add some high smoke point oil into your melted butter which helps prevent the butter from burning. No idea if that would help in your case but it might.

Comment

Little hint here make slits in the leg every inch and add a slice of garlic and a piece of rosemary in each slit. This will flavor the meat more than a baste every so often. I also do a rub of herbs, salt and pepper all over the leg before putting it on the grill. Once on the grill which should be at 275-300 and I like a mild wood like oak, I will take it off at 230 med-rare, 235 medium.. Let it rest for 15 minutes. Lamb is not good rare when it is rubbery or well done when it is tough. You can use a thin layer of mustard or mayonnaise to hold the rub on you will never know it is there.

If you do use your baste go all extra virgin olive oil or 50/50 EVOOl/butter..

Comment

Butter has a smoke point of 302 degrees. If it were 95 degrees then you'd see sandwiches and things with butter in them burst into flames on a hot summer day. :-) If you're really concerned, clarify the butter first. Clarified butter has a smoke point of 482 degrees.

Comment

• MTurney
          MTurney commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. I might’ve misread or found a bad source. Probably the former haha. Thanks for the feedback!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Butter would be banned in Texas, lol.

• MTurney
          MTurney commented
          Editing a comment
          I misread the table. 95 is the MELTING POINT 🤦🏻‍♂️

Garlic/rosemary and fennell in a salmuera (salt water solucion) is what I use. For rare you want about 135F in the center of the leg. Smoke at about 250f .

Comment

Did you use the rubber band netting that the meat came in while it cooked?
          I usually don't, if you remove be sure to tie up the roast in as evenly a shape as you can. I didn't and had the big hunk under done and the smaller part over done. We love lamb on the grill. We do similar as mountainsmoker does with putting slices on garlic into the meat.

Comment

• MTurney
            MTurney commented
            Editing a comment
            Great point. No I cut that off and tied it. This roast came out beautifully; exactly how I wanted it. But I’ve decided I’m all about the chops. The leg just isn’t for us. It was good but not even close to a rack

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            I always take the netting off also and unroll it. I then take and even out the meat so that I will get an even roll. This might mean cutting and moving some meat from thick to thin spots. I will use a filet knife for this for more control. You can also stuff it at this with a thin layer of stuffing. We stick with a bread herb, lemon stuffing. Good luck.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            @MTurney
            Before you give up on the leg, try these pita sandwiches some time. Guaranteed for return visits!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here