Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb Mechoui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb Mechoui

This is the recipe that changed my wife’s mind about lamb .... she was convinced that lamb was far too gamey and that, combined with mint jelly, was just a no go for her. Until she got introduced to Lamb Mechoui

I follow this recipe pretty closely, haven’t really modified it much. I happened to have some chimichurri already made, so I used that instead of charmoula. Other than that, It was Meathead’s recipe all the way.

In Morocco, Mechoui means 'roasted on an open fire.' Whole lamb is usually roasted on a spit, and often the cavity is filled with organ meats, herbs, or fruits. In this twist on the traditional mechoui, a leg of lamb is marinated overnight in charmoula. It is then seasoned, grilled, and served with harissa hot sauce.

Made cous cous and a tomato, olive, feta salad to go with it.

After marinading in the chimichurri for 24 hours
    Click image for larger version

Name:	EF3005AB-6BD6-4965-8ABB-B595F62AB6F6.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	841711

Sprinkled with Ras el Hanout

Name:	DB51AB7E-C5CA-4497-ABEC-9CBE8A6AEBBA.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	841710

On the grill

Name:	512F5E11-7F4D-4367-BE19-0C2EFD8554A5.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	841709

Served ..... was delicious

Name:	088B0A77-AA3B-4FEF-B830-4C3C32309B55.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	841712

That’s my kind of lamb right there !!!!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s darn good .... and nothing like English style leg of lamb

OK, I am liking and following so many of your recipes that I am going to need that cookbook. So you guys need to get busy

Correction - I know this one is Meathead's, but still...

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve started building the recipe files :-)

You know its funny but we actually prefer the gaminess of lamb. In fact a lot of the American lamb I've had lately is kind of devoid of that flavor and not as good to us. I guess everyone has differing tastes. I'm sure with that marinade and seasoning it tasted good regardless. Love seeing lamb in a variety of ways, definitely a favorite in the Troutman house.

Comment

I’ve never heard of what you made, but I am sure lookin forward to tryin it. My wife hates lamb bein from Minnesota & always reminds her of mutton, which I’ve never had either. I hale originally fro Detroit & my first marriage was with a Lebanese gal, so a very heavy Arabic influence with Kibee, Kibee niyee, Shish Kafta etc. We ate lamb 3 or more times a week. Wouldn’t know the English style if it slapped me in the face. What you did sure looks great!
      Last edited by FireMan; May 4, 2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I love that recipe.

Comment

Looks delicious!

Comment

I'll have to try this! I'm the only one around here that likes lamb.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I converted everyone to lamb with this recipe :-)

Where was this hiding on the free site? Looks awesome. Was making the herb blends and pastes a pain or not too bad?

Comment

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              First I had seen this too, and it has been there for five years. I'll also bookmark the related spice blend and paste/marinade.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              jhapka it was all pretty easy over all. I have made both Charmoula and Chimichurri plenty of times and it really is a "dump it all in the blender" sort of exercise. Harissa was a bit trickier since you have to de-seed the peppers and then re-hydrate them. But also not super difficult.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here