Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb Ribs

I consider myself a huge fan of lamb. That said, I've never done lamb ribs before, mainly because they're hard to find. Those who have had them, you think they're worth pursuing? You like them compared to chops?

For the last few years every fall we get a lamb butchered. IMO the ribs aren't really worth the trouble...not a whole lot of meat and can be a little hard to get just right. IMO the chops are the best cut, cook them hot and fast to med rare at most.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, we just toss them.

Interesting. I've never seen lamb ribs for sale. Just rack of lamb which BBQ's up nicely.

Comment

We love smoking lamb. Not just the ribs though. As said, not enough meat on them. We like lamb loin chops. In fact I got a pack at Costco yesterday or the day before? Plan on doing them tomorrow or the next day. A real easy cook, some good meat on them too. Check out smoking-meat.com. Jeff Phillips runs the site. A great recipe for these chops there. (Along with many others).

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        We did as well, made them last night. Sheep Dip. OOooo baby.

• MTurney
        MTurney commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea there’s nothing better than lamb chops imo. Thanks for the feedback!

Toss the lamb ribs directly on the parrila /grill and use a salmuera with rosemary/garlic and fennel seed.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Click image for larger version

Name:	3D2E7147-0975-4EF8-BE82-F863D03BE033.jpeg
Views:	383
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	840066Click image for larger version

Name:	96A909C2-9324-4E9A-B476-E407F4E0F8E0.jpeg
Views:	414
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	840065 We had those lamb loin chops I had mentioned in an earlier reply to your post. So easy and so good. About 60 min @ 225 to medium rare. Before and after pics attached. Yum. 😋

Comment

I'm with Ahumadora . We ate tons of lamb ribs as kids. We'd either grill them direct, or cook them slowly in the oven to render some of the fat. But be careful, that fat will flare up faster than anything. Be ready to move them!
        Last edited by theroc; April 30, 2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I love them. I went looking for lamb ribs at the local butchers and he had what he called lamb breast. I rubbed a little olive oil on them and used a Mediterranean rub. I smoked them like baby backs, but for less time. They were melt in your mouth, savory and delicious. Enough fat for some good flavor. Have only done them twice because my grandson and I are the only ones that eat lamb. I was thinking earlier today to pick up more to smoke for myself for fathers day along with KC ribs for the others.

Comment

My Dad, who only knew how to nuke food on a cheap charcoal grill that had a full load of Kingsford lit by a huge amount of lighter fluid, regularly made charred lamb riblets. The riblets come from the very tip of the rib trimmed off by butchers making rack of lamb roasts/chops. Very fatty, maybe 50/50 fat to meat and they flamed up like crazy on the grill. A lot of fun for a kid to do the riblet dance around the grates to get them cooked, not crisped. Mom made a ketchup/lemon/onion sauce for them that we loved.

I have not been able to find them even at real butcher shops for many years, but I would love to find them again. Greasy, fatty, finger-licking good stuff sans being charred when grilled 2 zone.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              I used to love dancing around the old grill while Dad cooked.

A rack of lamb are the ribs. Unfortunately, I think ,most of the really good ones go to the restaurant trade. But I love them. But a I would never smoke them . The meat is ultra tender as is. On the grill , I make a herb rub, roast over indirect heat bone side down, with a hot fire on a gas or kettle grill. Cook in about 20 minutes to a nice rare. Trim the fat first if the butcher didn’t . You want to leave a thin layer of fat.

Comment

The other day I saw a package of something called lamb breast, which looked like ribs. I believe it was a 2 pack. I didn't buy it, however.

Comment

I've had Northern Chinese cumin lamb ribs which were excellent. No idea what they put on them besides cumin.

Comment

We just received a couple of packs of lamb ribs from Porter Road. Plan to grill or smoke them today. Haven't decided which yet. They're good sized and have a decent amount of meat. Can't wait!

Comment

• MTurney
                    MTurney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s awesome...Would greatly appreciate your thoughts afterwards! Enjoy!

Smoked two racks of lamb spare ribs from Porter Road. Trimmed quite a bit of fat. Dry-brined, then rubbed with Dolly's Lamb rub. Smoked for 3 hours at 250 F with hickory wood.

Flavor was great, and the ribs were tender. But they were still very fatty. I might try running them longer next time to render more of the fat.

Name:	IMG_20200802_143257.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	890606

Name:	IMG_20200802_180949.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	890607

Name:	IMG_20200802_181817.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	890608

Comment

• MTurney
                    MTurney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those look delicious! I see your point about the fat though. Out of curiosity were you going by IT or just checking for tenderness? Sounds like overall y’all liked them and would do them again?

• theroc
                    theroc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MTurney - I was really cooking by time. I wasn't trying to cook like pork spareribs where I was going for full tenderness. We prefer lamb on the medium rare side, so didn't want to overcook. That said, the fattiness would have probably kept the meat moist had we gone longer. We did like the ribs very much and would do them again. The quality of the meat from Porter Road was excellent. Just need to think a bit more the cooking strategy.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here