Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beer, chocolate beer braised lamb shanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer, chocolate beer braised lamb shanks

Oh yeah, one of my favorite facehole stuffers..... Lamb shanks

Cast and crew

Chocolate ale, yes chocolate.
    Onion
    Garlic
    Cinnamon
    Gochujang for some heat
    Anchovy fillets
    Beef stock
    Thyme
    Whisky
    Beef tallow (cooking fat)

Season and Brown the shanks

Sip on some whisky

Saute onion and garlic, add gochujang and two anchovy fillets, season with salt and pepper . See that brown stuff peeping through the onion? That's sauce gold.

Cook that mess a little and then, oh boy, add the beer, throw in the cinnamon, thyme and bay leaf.

Put the shanks back in, and add beef stock until the liquid almost cover the shanks

Bring that mess to a gentle simmer, cover and cook a 325 degrees oven.
    Turn the shanks every hours, testing for doneness with a fork. After two hours, remove the lid and continue cooking. This will caramelize the meat even further. Should be fork tender when done.

Now fish out the shanks and strain the sauce

Dump the sauce in a container with the shanks, I'm using a hotel pan. It's ready to eat but I prefer to leave it in the refrigerator for at least a day to mature.

Good eats.

Gots to be tender!!!!?

Comment

Meat falling off meat.

Comment

Plated, served with mashed potatoes

Comment

• troymeister
          troymeister commented
          Editing a comment
          Well done Ernest!!! Amazing how much I learn on this sight.

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Much appreciated troymeister

As always looks like top chef material!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, pretty soon top eating establishments will start using his dishes and pictures.

Much appreciated bbqoaf

Comment

That just looks amazing, your passion for food really shows!

Comment

Much appreciated Henrik

Comment

I'm normally not a big fan of lamb, but I do believe those things would change my mind! Looks fantastic. How do you keep people from camping in your yard waiting for the kitchen to open?

Comment

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                The only time that I don't host or asked to cook on special days is Christmas. I even cook on my own birthday. LOL!
                But I love it.

Mary had a little lamb,
              And when she saw it sicken,
              So she took it to the packing house,
              And now it's labeled chicken.

Ernest picked up that pack of "chicken,"
              Realizing that it was lamb,
              Cooked it up his own unique way,
              And it was off the Shuh-zamb!!!!

Comment

Looks great. One question, if you leave it I the fridge for a day how do you reheat it?

Comment

bbq stew it's always best cooked a day or two in advance. Then reheat it in a 325 degrees oven covered.
                  If your meat didn't caramelize to your liking you can take the meat out, put it on a cooling rack and blast it at 400 degrees before serving.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did you reduce the sauce at all before plating? In the plating photo it kind of looks like you did. Awesome!

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dewesq55 I was going for a more traditional, rustic, fatty sauce so I strained and slightly reduced it. The overnight refrigeration did help with getting rid of most of the fat as it solidified at the top.

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, Ernest

Looks great as always.

Comment

I've had mutton, but nothing like that. I would camp in your front yard for a week to eat that. Looks delicious.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here