Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Lamb Racks with a Basil Dip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Lamb Racks with a Basil Dip

Friends, barbecue lovers, country men! (Isn’t that what Caesar said? I'm pretty sure it was )

I am a big fan of lamb. And I really like my Santa Maria accessory for the kettle. So, I dropped in some birch wood, lit that match, and started grilling.

However, I wanted to try out some new flavor combos. The meat was easy: keep it simple. So I just added salt. But then I thought: let’s give it a caramelized surface, it should be subtle, but still there, and let’s make a tangy dip to go with that. Sweet meats sour. So I grilled some lamb racks, cut them in between each rib so you got a nice lamb lollipop, and served the dip sauce in small bowls. Just dunk that meat into the sauce bowl, and dig in - finger licking’ good! Double dipping allowed. Real tasty!

Here’s how I made it.

Ingredients
    2 lamb racks
    1 tsp salt
    2 tbsp honey

Basil Dip
    1 bunch basil
    6 tbsp olive oil
    1 lemon (the juice from it)
    1 clove of garlic

Mix the ingredients for the dip in a tall bowl and blend it with blender.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lamb-racks-4.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	756962

Dry brine the meat with the salt a few hours in advance, or even better, the night before.

Fire up your grill and start grilling. No smoke this time. I started up high, and lowered the grates after a while. These took 30 minutes. You can grill them faster of course, but I wanted to go slow and keep them super juicy.

Name:	lamb-racks-1.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	756960

Name:	lamb-racks-2.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	756958

Name:	lamb-racks-3.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	756959
    When the racks are getting close to the done temp (56-58° C, or 133-136° F), i.e. when the meat is at 50-51° C or 122-124° F, it's time to brush them with the honey. Now caramelize the honey over high direct heat.
    Cut the lamb racks in between each rib and serve with the dip sauce.

Name:	lamb-racks-5.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	756961
    Hank - over and out!

Thanks for the recipe! This is great. There are few things I love more than lamb chops.

Interesting that you used birch wood, I have never thought about using that before. Although I have to go up north to get that stuff. It grow like crazy up in Superior National Forest. Not so much in the Big Woods region down here. I would imagine it has a fairly mild flavor?

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have it in my backyard and it goes into the fireplace not the cooker. Good question because I have not seen it used before.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      We have it in abundance here, and use it for warming our houses. NOT a fan of the smoke flavor at all, but here I used it for heat only. Works well!

I haven't done lamb in awhile. I guess it is time. That looks great.

Comment

Lamb and eggs is my favorite breakfast. And what a great quick basil dip!

Comment

That looks wonderful! And the basil dip sounds brilliant.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! It turned out real good.

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Basil dip looks beautiful also - gotta try that.

Dang Henrik we love lamb, that sounds so good. I am going to pull a small leg out of the freezer just to try it. Don't have any racks right now. I usually use rosemary, the basil is intriguing.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Rosemary is a classic, can't go wrong with that either.

Damm Henrik Troutman Is reallly going to have to pulll one out of the hat to catch up with you on recipes... I have pretty much the same thing to cook on. My favourite way of cooking over live fire..

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m about ready to raise the white flag

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, that Troutman fella keeps me on my toes, sounds like raising the white flag is a good idea. We'll just sit back and enjoy a bourbon or something instead :-)
          Last edited by Henrik; October 17, 2019, 01:19 AM.

Killing it once again Henrik This looks SOOOO good.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, it turned out great!

Love me some lamb chops. Nice work on those !! I like the honey trick, I’ll be borrowing that one. I guess we must be on the same wavelength, I’m doing thomahawk Berkshire pork chops this weekend, stay tuned !!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, you sure have a knack for cooking up great recipes!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahumadora I believe they are, they're about an inch thick. Dry brining tonight for a Saturday cook. Henrik I'm thinking a pear sauce to go with it. Any suggestions?

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Pear sauce sounds great! Fruity flavors and pork goes very well together. You'll knock it out the park I'm sure.

Boy does that look good. I have never had lamb.. looks like something I should try!!

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          ??? Never had lamb ? And you own that giant meat locker? What do you guys grow up there?

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope. I know the local grocery store doesn't sell it.. we eat beef and pork and deer. I don't know if I have ever seen it in a store for that matter..

Henrik the wife gave the go ahead. She already is messing with your recipe. LOL. She makes a ton of Pesto and decided that she wants to just add lemon juice to it. I think it will be great as the dipping sauce. I will just whirl it up to make it smoother. I will pull the lamb out of the freezer tomorrow.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a winner to me!

Henrik did a 4.45 lb. semi-boneless leg of lamb that I dry brined over night, last night and with the pesto plus lemon dipping sauce it was absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Oh by the way I used oak to smoke it. I have pics but can't upload them at this time. Don't know why but will do so when the computer lets me.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 22, 2019, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool, I'm glad to hear you liked it!

getting rack out for Easter. This looks like the plan instead of the usual.

Comment

Awesome! Did you make the Santa Maria accessory?

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Yes I did.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here