Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whole lamb smoking in the Southern Pride smoker sk500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whole lamb smoking in the Southern Pride smoker sk500

i am trying to smoke a whole lamb cut equally in half total weight is 20 pound per half after 11 hours of smoking at 225 F it is little bit dry and still undone.

any suggestion?

thanks

I am sorry I didn't see this sooner. You are probably finished by now. Did you cook it skin side down. If you did not do so in the future. Then baste with an oil, lemon, rosemary and garlic mop every hour or so. It will keep the meat moist.

You did not say what temp you were cooking it to, but I cook my legs to med-rare(130-135). For you whole lamb check both the rear leg and where butt would on a pig the thickest part of the front or the front of the lamb.

I hope it came out well for you.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 31, 2019, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      When you are cooking it on your smoker, what temp do you cook it at? Low n' slow, hot n' fast?

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I cook everything except chicken and turkey at 275 these days. Some folks are cooking even higher but I find 275 works fine for me. Now for those chickens and turkeys I do take them to 325. This gives a nice crisp skin and a well done bird in a shorter amount of time.

• The warehouse
      The warehouse commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks i cooked my lamb fat skin up as the southern pride people advice so and at 250 F

Yes, please tell and show us how you did this! baaaaaaaaaaaa Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here