Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rack of Lamb Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack of Lamb Smell

Sunday Aldi's had vacuum sealed rack of lamb 50% off, so I decided to give one a try. I've never cooked lamb before, but last night when I opened it to dry brine it I noticed a somewhat pungent smell. Is that just how raw lamb smells or did it go bad on me?

Lamb does have its own peculiar odor, some don't like it or the taste. Was there any sign of a nasty or gooey liquid along with it? Personally I would return it if you're at all skeptical. Hard for us to say sitting at our collective computers but the nose don't lie. If in doubt, throw it out.

Comment

You could try soaking it in milk for about 30 minutes. If the smell goes, it's okay. When you say pungent, do you just mean strong odor, or strong and bad??

Comment

The smell was strong enough for my wife to question it from a few feet away. It's a sour type of bad smell and seems to be mainly emanating from the fat cap side.

Comment

• efincoop
          efincoop commented
          Editing a comment
          I would return it to the store and not take any chances.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that sound like a return. I was thinking more of the gamy type of smell.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds off to me.

I'd pass, lamb does have a different smell, but I've never considered it sour or bad.

Comment

When in doubt, throw it out. Tossing something that you think is off is never going to make you ill. :-)

Comment

Hey, shoot, cook it & eat it & let us know, or at least your wife let us know. 😎

Comment

Get rid of it. While lamb has a different taste and flavor it should never have an off odor. Especially from across the room. It should smell clean and grassy with a heavier flavor than grass fed beef. The rack with the loin attached will have the mildest flavor of any other part of the lamb as it doesn't do much work.

Please take it back to Aldi's and exchange it. I hate to think you are missing out on one of the great meats to do on a smoker.

I buy legs on sale and right now have 5 in the freezer so any time we want one I can do one.

Good luck and I hope you try it again.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation. Gonna pass on it, not worth the risk. I was so looking forward to trying it that now I've go to get to the butcher for a fresh rack.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here