Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked & Braised Lamb Shanks - Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked & Braised Lamb Shanks - Redux

Back at the beginning of the year I was on a smoke then braise various types of meat shanks; beef, veal, pork and lamb. Of the four I really enjoyed the lamb and decided to return that cook to the regular rotation. I copied my previous technique with the exception of the initial smoking of the shanks prior to braising utilizing oak chucks instead of fruit wood. We were a bit concerned the heavy smoke flavor might overwhelm the stew but were pleasantly surprised that it did not. Oh it was there and very pronounced but the family and I enjoy a heavy smokiness to our meat so this time around the dish was kicked up about half a notch!!

If you want an in depth recipe and technique, here's the original post from last February. The only significant change I made to the presentation was the use of a mushroom risotto instead of mashed potatoes as the side.

Troutman Smoked & Braised Lamb Shanks

Again the marriage of smoking first and braising after is a match made in culinary heaven. Like QVQ it combines the best of both cooking techniques to produce a dish that is better than the sum of it's parts. I encourage everyone to give it a try, it's relatively simple, producing a rich and hardy stew that will surely be a hit with family and friends.

I'm also breaking in a new camera and these photos represent my first attempts at it's use. Yes there is MCS in the photography world as well !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	lamb braise 01.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	725362

Name:	lamb braise 02.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	725361

Name:	lamb braise 03.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	725360

Name:	lamb braise 04.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	725363
    Taken with a Nikon D7500 with a Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro Lens

OH those look so delicious. We love our lamb. What is the new camera.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Taken with a Nikon D7500 with a Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro Lens

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

Now you're just stylin' Troutman

Incredible as usual. Love this recipe.

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Dang!!! Great shots, my friend! What a meal! Thank you for sharing this with us! Did you post this to SUWYC? I wanna make sure I get this one in the next issue of "HOT"

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          No but I can

Honestly Troutman do you even have a regular rotation? Given you're the head Director.
        My "regular rotation" is maybe every other month given all the recipes here and on the web. The only thing I really make often are grilled American cheese sandwiches on the stove. My wife demands them often. I have tried making them on the grill and with cheddar and Gouda but she says no thank you. Guess who's the boss and wins!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea believe it or not I do have a regular rotation but it may be 365 recipes long. In other words it may take me a year to get back to square one

Lamb shanks are one of my all-time favorites. I usually succumb to splurging on them every couple of years, for a special dinner during the holiday season. I hadn't even thought of getting some smoke on them.

Your recipe sounds truly delicious. Totally worthy of trying! Well done.

Comment

Another winner. Onto the list. Funny, I was at dinner last night with my younguns, and they asked when I was going to make some lamb.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here