Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leg of Lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    But I'm not holding it to soften it up. It is only at 130-135 and the rest period is short. and at room temp, tented. Please reread my post.

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Year's back, Cook's Illustrated did a recipe/technique of boning out the leg and separating it into the three distinctive muscle masses. Each one was trimmed of excess fat and silver skin, rubbed down heavily with an herb and garlic paste, and rolled and tied into three smaller "roasts". I've made it a few times and it really is the best lamb I've ever had.

If anyone want's a copy of the recipe send me a message and I'll send it to you. It's in .pdf format.
    Last edited by Bkhuna; July 24, 2019, 01:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    bwahahaha. Great dad joke.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    CaptainMike and the occasional mint julep.

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    texastweeter the only thing I use mint for is mojitos, mint jelly is just nasty.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I see what you did there...

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I like to use the terminology of "hold" referring to brisket or pork butt, since we're 'holding' the meat at a high temp (but no longer 'cooking'), to soften them after cooking; versus "rest" which many associate with resting steaks, often at room temp, before eating.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Word of caution if you get "off the bone". When tying back up be sure to make the roll as even as you can. I did it wrong once, had a big lump on one end. All the rest was perfect but in the lump was raw. Baaaaaaaad.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    only bad lamb is overcooked lamb...we that and if you add mint jelly, YUCK!

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Keep it simple, leave it whole, season as you like, and give it the reverse sear treatment to medium rare. I like to make a rosemary/garlic/oregano board sauce to slice it on. Great piece of meat.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    gonna cook up two boneless lamb roasts this weekend. I unroll it and trim off all the fat cap, and dry brine it 24 hours in advance. Them marinate it for about 35-40 minutes in the sheep dip recipe on the free site. Roll it back up, and smoke it over oak/mesquite until about 110° internal. Pull, rest, then sear over ultra high heat. Slice and serve immediately. Usually serve it with grilled asparagus, Parmesan garlic cauliflower puree, and grilled portabello mushrooms.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    I do it both ways. We love lamb and normally have 3-4 in the freezer at any one time. Normally in the 5-6lb range.

We keep it simple make slits every inch and alternate with garlic split in 3rds and one piece per slit and then a small piece of rosemary and then a coating of mustard like Huskee Shawsh or similar. Smoke to 115 and brown over high high heat to 125 let rest it will come to a perfect 130. Let rest 5-10 minutes. On the issue of resting. I don't rest and agree with Meathead. I rest to allow the temps to equilibrate through that big piece of meat. There can be a feelable difference between the inner and outer temp.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 23, 2019, 02:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    Like this:

Create mouth watering leg of lamb on the smoker or grill with these various techniques. Leg of lamb is a complex bundle of muscles, with layers of fat and connective tissue throughout. Here are four methods for dealing with the wonderful log of meat and how to create deliciously smoky grilled leg of lamb.

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    I smoke it as-is. Leave the bone in. If you debone it you’re gonna have to tie it up with butcher’s twine.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Again, I caught your other post. Git yerself over to the interducin section and give us a proper howdy so’s we can give you a howdy. Howdy, eat good and have fun!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here