Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb Shoulder .... tough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb Shoulder .... tough?

Any tips apart from Low N Slow to break down the connective tissue and bring out the flavor in Lamb?

I do legs only and don't know about shoulders. I only cook them to 130, med-rare. I use garlic and rosemary in slits an inch apart alternating the two.

Comment

Oh man, I did a boneless leg like this:

Create mouth watering leg of lamb on the smoker or grill with these various techniques. Leg of lamb is a complex bundle of muscles, with layers of fat and connective tissue throughout. Here are four methods for dealing with the wonderful log of meat and how to create deliciously smoky grilled leg of lamb.

Wasn't a shoulder, so I am not sure if the cut had anything to do with it, but it was bring tears to your eyes good.

Here is a Meathead shoulder recipe that I have been meaning to try:

In Western Kentucky the BBQ is mutton, and the sauce is vinegary, spiked with Worcestershire sauce. Here's a recipe for black BBQ sauce inspired by Moonlite Bar-B-Q Sauce & Dip. This thin tart sauce cuts the rich fat, making it perfect for use as a deeply penetrating baste as the meat cooks or as a finishing sauce.

Comment

If it's lamb it shouldn't be tough no matter what part you are cooking. Enlighten us some more with what you are trying to do or have done. Smoked a few lamb shoulders lately. 275f until 135- 140f internal then flung it on the hotplate to give it a great crust. Lovely n pink. Shoulders are mostly bone, so not much meat on em.

Comment

I have cooked a shoulder twice, and cooked it like I do Boston Butts - 225 to an internal temp of 200. I seasoned it with a rub of equal parts of paprika, salt, black pepper, and granulated onion and garlic. I haven’t been a fan of lamb, but I really enjoyed the shoulder. If it wasn’t so expensive i would cook it more often.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, low and slow like a butt. Lots of connective tissue and fat.

Braising is a nice way to go.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            That's how we do the shanks and they come out very tender. Then reduce the drippings and make a dark gravy.

• theroc
            theroc commented
            Editing a comment
            +1

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry read post without my glasses on and I thought you said braai'ing ☺

Never done a shoulder but we love our lamb here. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Inky View Post
            Any tips apart from Low N Slow to break down the connective tissue and bring out the flavor in Lamb?
            I just read a Texas Monthly article about Texas-style barbecue in Denver.

Two lines stood out to me: 'Roaming Buffalo’s specialties include bison back ribs, which replaced bison short ribs when the latter got too expensive. They come alongside smoky strands of pulled Colorado lamb shoulder, which Webb insists has a sweeter flavor than lamb from elsewhere.'

I have a neighbor (well, about 5 miles away) who raises and slaughters lamb. I was thinking about a lamb shoulder, and now I have an excuse.

BTW - lamb shoulder steaks (sold at Walmart) are very tender, even when grilled.

Comment

As mentioned above, lamb should be tender. If it ain't, ya got sheep.

Comment

I am planning on doing lamb shoulder, but will have to order it special. How big is one shoulder? I think it must be less than one pork shoulder? I would want to do about 10 pounds to make it worthwhile.

I figured on seasoning it with the usual, rosemary, thyme, etc. So good on lamb.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here