Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jalisco-Style Goat Stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jalisco-Style Goat Stew

Goat Shoulder seasoned with SPG
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Goat 6-19.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	691926

Put on the YS640 at 180°F

Name:	Goat on Smoker 6-19.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	691927

Sorry forgot to take picture when I took it off the smoker IT 135°F 2½ hours later. Here it is in the CI Dutch oven

Name:	Goat in kettle.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	691928

Finished and ready to go

Name:	Jalisco Goat Stew 6-19.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	691929

Plated

Name:	Goat Stew served 6-19.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	691930

Off to the pot luck were they expect something like this from me.

Looks/sounds like a meal I'd be delighted to fling a fang into; haven't had me some good roast goat since 1986, when I was all gallivantin round Central America, on yall's nickel...

Comment

So what makes it Jalisco style?

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        I think ox tails would be very good. Might even try that myself. Let me know if you do make it.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Ox tails are the bomb....not much better than some Jamaican Rice n peas with oxtail.
        ofelles dish seems to be pretty close to Jamaican ox tail

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        ofelles, thanks for that link. I like that site, they will probably get me to buy some mail order meats. I had resisted that up until now; but the meat on the site you posted is not readily available around here.
        Last edited by klflowers; August 14, 2019, 11:22 AM.

Troutman , I think the last two pics says it all. Drenched in salsa, as in practically swimming. ofelles , that is a great looking dish! Wish we had smellovision. 🕶

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        More to it then that my friend

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Tortas ahogardas is a Guadalajara staple that is a pork sandwich in a torta (like a French beignet sliced) that’s "drowning in tomato sauce". "One" of the signatures of Jalisco cusine is sauce & plenty of it. They are also very profuse in seafood dishes. Also the goat dish.
        “

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahogada (ahogadas is plural) means drowned in Spanish. It also means choked, but, hopefully, that would not apply here.

I have childhood memories of my neighbors making this - one of my best friends in the early-mid 80’s was a Mexican boy a couple doors down, and his family was always making legit Mexican food - always menudo on the weekends, and all sorts of crazy stuff every other day.

Birria has been blowing up my Instagram feed since I started following #tacos a few weeks ago, and I’m getting ready to make some this weekend...but using beef brisket instead of goat...a) my family isn’t *that* adventurous yet, and b) I have a Prime brisket I pulled out of the freezer yesterday and it seems like it will work well.

Comment

We have boer, Nubian, and Texas Meat Master goats. Love goat. Makes a mean chilli or taco too!
        Last edited by texastweeter; August 14, 2019, 01:40 PM. Reason: effin auto-correct

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll bet nilgai would make a great birria or chili.
          Last edited by gcdmd; August 14, 2019, 10:55 AM.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, on the various goats that you have.

Did you thicken it with a dark roux?

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          I did not . It came out that thick. Very good.

One of my uncles used to cook a lot of goat. I got to where I liked it, but I have never tried cooking it. Guess it is about time, though I doubt the wife will share my enthusiasm.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Enthusiasm can be catchy.

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          People kind of wince when I tell them what it is. Then they try it and come back for more.

My grand parents raised goats and made several type of stews more European than Mexican. My dad grew up drinking the milk. It is supposed to be better for you than cow's milk.

Comment

There are (at least) two meats that I wish were much more widely available in the US--goat and duck.
          Last edited by Willy; August 15, 2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

This recipe looks fantastic, but as far as I know, I can't find goat shoulder locally. What would be a good substitute? Lamb or pork shoulder? Oxtail like posted on this thread? Unless someone in Los Angeles knows where I can get goat. Thanks!

Comment

We love goat. I make a pretty good Jamaican Curry goat and also a decent Bhuna goat. I can get it frozen and band saw into chunks at me local supermarket on occasion.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here