Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking goat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking goat

Just got a baby goat from neighbor that died in fence accident. I have about 17# in the freezer. Both hind quarters, tenderloin and some front meat. I need some guidance on seasoning and smoking it.

Look for recipes for Cabrito. While not all goat is cabrito, as cabrito is milk fed, the cooking methods will work. If your goat has been grass fed then you might want to think about serving it with other ingredients wrapped in a taco. Be sure to marinate the heck out of it no matter the quality. I cook goat low and slow and shoot for an internal temp of about 145 but many like it around 160.
    Here is a starter recipe from HEB, but you can find others on the net.

Comment

• mad mike
      mad mike commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks

I'm making a Mexican goat stew next week. I posted earlier this week with responses from Ahumdora

Originally posted by Ahumadora View Post
    I wouldn't inject (never do on any meats). Let the flavor shine through. What is important is what kind of goat is it?? Youngish kid goat or some nasty old billy goat off the side of a wind swept mountain? Being 2 lb shoulders it should be young goat. Also instead of a set target temp of 150 in the pit also use your intuition on the color the meat is taking on. my 2 cents. Post pics and keep us in the loop
    And Househomey

Ahumadora pretty much nailed it. Sounds like young good stuff. Parrilla will make for some tasty eats. Easy on that smoke I second.

Young goat and a little smoke in the finish of that stew will be amazing. Especially the bottom with the little pieces of meat and papas etc...

Stew is different from straight smoking so I'm not sure if this helps.

Comment

• mad mike
      mad mike commented
      Editing a comment
      not making stew but thanks

• mad mike
      mad mike commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks

Birria is another great way to do goat.

Comment

• mad mike
      mad mike commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks

I would love to see the post from this cook.

I had Cabrito when I was in Bonaire and it was incredible. We actually ate all they had! (No more goats in the back.....) When they made it, I believe it was smoked and then braised.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Some of the best in the Caribbean. I love that place. CaptainMike

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker, if you haven't done Cozumel you should give it a try as well.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been. Pretty spot! One of the first places I dove back when I was about 14. CaptainMike

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here