Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goat stew questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goat stew questions

Planning on making a Jalisco-Style goat stew in a couple of weeks. The recipe calls for searing then simmering the goat shoulder meat. Made it a few years ago before I had my smoker and it turned out good.
    I thought this time I would try and smoke the goat at 225°F for a couple of hours until it reached about 150°F then cut it up into 3" pieces, then go back to the recipe and simmer it. What I have is 3-2 pound shoulders to use.
    My questions; marinate? inject? I usually use pecan/cherry mix of pellets? thoughts?
    Last edited by ofelles; May 29, 2019, 03:58 PM.

I wouldn't inject (never do on any meats). Let the flavor shine through. What is important is what kind of goat is it?? Youngish kid goat or some nasty old billy goat off the side of a wind swept mountain? Being 2 lb shoulders it should be young goat. Also instead of a set target temp of 150 in the pit also use your intuition on the color the meat is taking on. my 2 cents. Post pics and keep us in the loop

Comment

Thanks Ahumadora. Looking back thru the archives a few people mentioned gamey. I don't remember it being gamey last time. It is young goat. Just some salt and pepper rub. 150°F was a guess I will just keep an eye on it. Just want it to pick up some smoke flavor then finish in the Dutch oven with the spices.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok I personally would go light on the smoke flavor for goat. Young goat is excellent on the parrilla or open fire.

Ahumadora pretty much nailed it. Sounds like young good stuff. Parrilla will make for some tasty eats. Easy on that smoke I second.

Young goat and a little smoke in the finish of that stew will be amazing. Especially the bottom with the little pieces of meat and papas etc...

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure I understand you. You're saying less is more, right?
        I've always believed MORE IS BETTER. so confused now

Thanks Ahumadora and Househomey. Plan to lightly smoke then throw it in Dutch oven with chiles, tomatillos, jalapeno and spices. Might add some potatoes and beans. Tortilla and lime for serving

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        My wifes not a fan of Dutch ovens. No sense of humor...

I don't know anything about stew but Goat's Head Soup is good

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here