Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

boneless-leg-of-lamb-cooked-"flat"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless leg of lamb cooked "flat"

Hello friends, going to try the following 7 pounder as is - first time cooking it this way. Going 225*F indirect until the thicker parts register and then crisping. Here’s my question to anyone who has done this before - I made a full recipe of Dolly’s, but I am unsure if it can cover this much surface area.

Question: when cooking a leg this way, have you doubled the rub and covered both sides equally? Also do you start this fat side up or down (realize it doesn’t matter a ton since going indirect)

Thanks!
    Attached Files

I’d think you’d want a thinner coat of dolly. So likely sufficient. The ratio of surface to interior has changed, but the ratio of flavor intensity to meat quantity has not.

Comment

I am planning a similar cook. I was going to reverse sear at 225* until temp reaches 120 then sear on high heat. I am marinating in lemon juice, wine, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and oregano.
    Last edited by Old Glory; April 20, 2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your marinade approach

I have probably did the lamb as described Old Glory a couple dozen times. Costco always seems to have boneless leg O lamb regardless of the season. My marinade is practically identical too but I use mint instead of thyme. Generally I buy 2 at a time, cook the 2 large ends together and then the smaller ones when it is just me and the wife. The reverse sear works flawlessly but I am considering Sous Vide for tomorrows cook. But then again winter is finally relenting in WI so why not spend some quality time with my old friend Weber.

If you like lamb you are going to love it grilled.

Comment

Salt, pepper, rosemary and garlic for me. Don't over power it with too much spices. Lwt thw lamb shine. Eat it hot straight from the pit before the fat congels.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice; went with a reverse sear with Dolly’s Rub. Cooked super quick so pulled it off at 115 or so, let it rest then blasted both sides around 10” off the flame to prevent flare ups to finish. The end was a perfect split of medium rare and medium well; every palette was happy!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Great looking leg o lamb!!! Another Amazingribs story with a happy ending.

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great! Even Mary would be pleased.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here