Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked & Braised Lamb Shanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked & Braised Lamb Shanks

So I've been going down the shank-a-licious highway lately. My first stop, if you'll remember, was with veal shanks that I turned into a classic Osso Bucco with a smokey twist. This time I want to do a variation on that theme with some fantastic lamb shanks I sourced from my local Central Market. As with all shanks, there's the requirement that you cook them in some manner that renders the connective tissue to tenderize them enough to turn rubber bands into luscious succulent goodness.

So a perfect choice for a winter's day in the Troutman brasserie. I treated the approach to this dish the same way as the Osso Bucco, that being a good smoking of the meat followed by a classic braise in the oven. This time; however, I'm changing up the braising liquid which in turn changes the complexity of the final result.

We start by salt brining our shanks overnight. As a matter of fact, I ended up going almost 36 hours due to a timing issue. These shanks are off that charts huge, almost 2 lbs. a piece.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb shanks 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	874.1 KB ID:	641890

...after a good layer of POG followed by some Killer Hogs BBQ Rub, I set them aside and began the mesan plas of my mirepoix with an emphasis this time on a few more root veggies, like parsnips mixed in with my carrots. Notice I keep them chopped in larger pieces to avoid having them break down in the braise.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb shanks 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	538.4 KB ID:	641892

...the meat then went onto my smoker for about an hour and a half along with some butts I was already cooking. I wanted to get some deep smoke into these as well as getting some benefit from pre-cooking them. I used all cherry wood chunks, gave a really deep rich color and wonderful flavor to the skin.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb shanks 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	641891

So when the shanks got to the point of having great color and had taken on an adequate amount of smoke, I pulled and rested them in foil and began my braising liquid. Since I wanted this dish to take on a different and bold complexity, instead of a white Sauvignon Blanc wine base, I've decided to use a Merlot along with my stock.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb shanks 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	709.6 KB ID:	641893

First things first, sweating down the veggies in some olive oil....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb shanks 05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	636.5 KB ID:	641894

....once reduced down I seasoned then added some tomato paste and additional garlic. The paste adds color and richness to the braise. Cooking it down with the veggies causes it to also intensify and give sweetness to the dish.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb shanks 06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	494.3 KB ID:	641895
    Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb shanks 07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	773.2 KB ID:	641896

....now that everything is sweated down, it's time to add the liquids. I began by deglazing the pot with the red wine, about 2 cups worth, followed by 2 cups of chicken stock. An alternative for an even richer result would be a good beef bone broth but I was out and the chicken would have to do.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb shanks 08.jpg Views:	1 Size:	791.7 KB ID:	641897

....the result was an incredibly rich braising liquid ready to tame the sinewy lamb shanks, so into the jacuzzi they went. Like all braising techniques, I kept the liquid to no more than 2/3rds of the way up, but not covering the meat....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb shanks 09.jpg Views:	1 Size:	796.7 KB ID:	641898

I then covered the pot and put it into a 350* oven for 2 hours. At the 1 hour mark I flipped the shanks to make sure both sides were braised tender. An alternative would be the use of an Instapot or pressure cooker accomplishing the same thing in a fraction of the time. Once the meat was done and tender, I removed it, tented with foil and reduced the liquid on the stovetop to a rich gravy.

Although a bit of a long process, it's a relatively simple one, with the results being spectacular !! The earthiness of the lamb and the rich dark wine sauce makes for a totally delicious meal. Classically served in a base of polenta or risotto, I opted to make some creamy smooth garlic and rosemary infused mashed potatoes. Topped with the rich, delicious gravy and a sprinkle of Parmesan, this dish might have even topped the Osso Bucco !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb shanks 11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	684.1 KB ID:	641899

Get you some of that on a cold winter's day, rustic and real Lamb Shanks !!

Troutman Steve's outta here !!
    Last edited by Troutman; May 3, 2023, 11:37 AM.

Man, that looks great!

Comment

Man oh man, that looks good.

Comment

Wow

Comment

Wowsers. I’m hungry.

Comment

That's off the hook! I'm salivating like Pavlov's Dog!

Comment

Dang. Should not have opened this before dinner. Nice cook.

Comment

Now that is just brilliant. It looks soo tasty!!

Comment

Meathead When is troutman going to start writing articles for you???

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Check out my new title, lookin’ for member recipes, got some? Post ‘em !!!

Wow that looks good , like your pics .

Comment

As usual Troutman, your write-ups are very detailed and informative, your results spectacular, and your photos are making me drool all over my keyboard. Well done sir!

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the kind word Thunder, as well as all who commented.

In order to keep the AR Pit THE world class on line bbq cooking center that it is requires all of your help. Please think about spending a few moments to post your favorite recipe. The reward for you will be getting potentially published here and the reward for the rest of us will be the collective group of universally shared recipes!! Thanks all !!

Comment

This looks amazing!

Comment

Thanks, Troutman! I worked with this recipe for Thanksgiving. I create my own rubs with a pretty extensive (and chaotic) spice cabinet, and riffed on that part with a rub that was mainly New Mexico chili powder, fresh garlic, galangal and black lime. I've never really used black lime before, so it was a crap shoot how much to use. Still, I really like the way the smoky/citrus zing of the black lime worked with the lambiness. I did the first hour at 300 degrees, thinking I had lots of time to make the sinews break down a bit, and upped it to 350 when I flipped them to presentation side up. I smoked some garlic cloves along side the lamb, and brought them to the bath with the lamb. Smoke and lamb just work so well together.
                        Next time I'll try a sous-vide of the shanks, something like 48hrs at 150f, and then grill, just to see how the texture compares.

Comment

• FireMan
                          FireMan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Any pics?

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here