Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delicious Lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delicious Lamb

Weather was horrible, really high winds this weekend so didn't much feel like a long, slow cook outside. Decided instead to do some fast grilling and got out a rack of lamb I purchased on sale over the holidays. Nicely Frenched out, should make a great quick cook ....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	501.7 KB ID:	625459
    Lamb for some has a rather strong, distinctive taste and can be gamey. This is an American sourced product and is rather mild compared to some I've gotten, just perfect. I start by flipping it over to the fat cap side. Since we're hot grilling the fat needs to come off because of the underlying tough silver skin, as well as trying to let our marinade and seasoning get to more of the meat...

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	550.6 KB ID:	625460

A classic marinade for lamb consists of some type of herb as the base along with plenty of garlic. I like to use rosemary because its a perfect complement, although mint is also an excellent substitution....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	724.7 KB ID:	625464

So I took and cut the rack into two bone servings to increase the exposure area and mixed a marinade consisting of rosemary, garlic, lemon peel, olive oil, red wine vinegar, the lemon juice, salt and pepper. As a quick way to prepare, I take the first three ingredients and chop them finely together as a blend. You can also take and put this into a blender to create a paste, but I prefer the chunky bits and a little coarser blend....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	562.2 KB ID:	625466
    Add the mixture to a bowl and drizzle in the olive oil, lemon juice and the vinegar to make a wet paste......

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb 05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	879.3 KB ID:	625463

...then liberally rub on to and all over the chops. After that I just go ahead and apply my seasoning as well. Wrap and stick them into the fridge for at least and hour or up to about six hours. You can certainly leave them longer but the flavors may get a little strong if left over night .....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb 06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	772.9 KB ID:	625461

Then it's a matter of preparing your sides and grilling them off. I like to do them hot and fast watching them the whole time and flipping about every five minutes cooking on all four sides. I temp them after the 20 minutes of flipping and shoot for about 122-125* or rare. You can bring them up as high as 135* but I find they begin to loose their flavor and juiciness at anything above 130*. But that's certainly a personal preference....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb 07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	860.8 KB ID:	625462

Let them rest for 15-20 minutes while preparing your sides. We served this simple and elegant meal with sides of Parmesan risotto and some roasted baby carrots. Then it's bon appetite .....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb 08.jpg Views:	1 Size:	727.7 KB ID:	625465

Enjoy some lamb, an excellent alternative !!! Troutman Steve is out !!!!
    Last edited by Troutman; January 20, 2019, 10:37 AM.

That is beautiful. A perfect medium rare. I'm the only one in my family who likes lamb so we almost never have it. Last winter I cooked a little lamb chop for myself when the rest of my family was out of town.

Comment

That looks fantastic!

Comment

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Comment

Nice write up and pics! Looks great!

Comment

Heck That Looks Delicious And Nutritious I’ll have to tell my friends in Montana Ewe found another use for Sheep🤓

Comment

Wow, beautiful plate. Looks and sounds incredible.

Comment

Troutman, lamb is my favorite meat. Fortunately my family likes it as well. Those photos, and your recipe, look great!
                One of our sons-in-law is from Punta Arenas, Chile in the southern Patagonia. For those who need a reminder of world history & geography, Punta Arenas lies on the Straits of Magellan! There are magellenic penguins there, and the Humbolt currents bring the ice cold ocean waters up the west coast of South America. An asado de cordero entero is the go-to for holidays, weddings, birthdays, etc. Fortunately, in Seattle, Costco carries whole frozen lamb in their 'business' outlets. These are halal, from New Zealand. There is a reasonable halal market for Costco with our Pakistani, Somali (and other) neighbors. This summer we hope to have two or three fiestas.

As you can see below, we are raising a new generation of lamb lovers!

Daniel

Nuestro yerno está a la izquierda, y su cuñado a la derecha. El cordero está en centro!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3629.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.10 MB ID:	625500Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3634.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.18 MB ID:	625498

Chorizo mexicano también
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3644.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.45 MB ID:	625499

Una de nuestros nietos. La próxima generación!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3679.JPG Views:	1 Size:	978.0 KB ID:	625496
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Dr. Pepper; January 20, 2019, 12:51 PM. Reason: clarifications, grammar, spelling!

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you let us know when the next fiesta is, several dozen of your AR brethren will probably show up!

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I meant to add, that looks fantastic!

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love that open fire cooker, and a whole lamb ...awesome!!’

Sounds great. I myself so NOT like mint with lamb. I use a very similar marinade, but I add balsamic vinegar that I have reduced by 1/2 to it as well. If is probably my wife and kids favorite hot and fast application along with some asparagus thrown on the side and a garlic Parmesan cauliflower mash or puree. "I'd buy that for a dollar!!! "

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm the same - don't like mint with it, love rosemary! My ex loved mint - may have something to do with the designation as ex.

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lots of fresh rosemary and garlic! Yeah, good reason to be an ex. I'm with you, lol EdF

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea agreed I'm a big rosemary fan period. I don't like the taste of mint, but a lot of recipes out there call for it so I mention it.

Great writeup as always, Troutman. And a perfect execution, I'd eat that lamb any day!

Comment

Ahumadora,

Yo no escuché el radio está mañana. Voy a hablar con Victor ahora. Gracías para la información.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your'e welcome

Troutman, will you adopt me?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here