Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb Loin Chops...Medium Well??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb Loin Chops...Medium Well??

Sacrilege, I know but I'm in a desperate way. Planning to make Meathead's lamb loin chop recipe tonight. But I have one problem: wifeypoo is freaked out by red (or even pink) meat. She is convinced she's eating blood, even at medium. So, any thoughts on how to cook them so they aren't pink, but aren't tough either? Is that simply an oxymoron (not pink but not tough). I don't have a lot of experience with lamb, so any tips are welcomed. (And "cook her chicken" I've already considered.)

I gotcha on the main page.

Lamb loin chops are tender, flavorful, and juicy. This is an extremely quick and easy marinade and cooking method for grilled lamb loin chops.

Comment

Loin lamb chops are so tender that medium well will likely not be tough. I have to admit that I, personally, like my lamb cooked much more than I do my beef. I guess it's left over from when I was a kid and my mom cooked lamb to just about well done. I think if you cook them slowly to med. well and then reverse sear, they will likely not be tough. High heat, as I understand it, toughens proteins much more than slow heating does.

DEW

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. I can hang with sheep and deer past medium. I cook deer wrapped in bacon most the time, and the meat doneness is a moot point when you have bacon going in the upper alimentary canal at the same time. For me at least.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have eaten very little deer in my life, but I agree with you about bacon. Now that we have a freezer, my GF says I need to "get a deer" to put in it. I'm not sure how, since I don't own any firearms (I'm not opposed, just don't have any.)

DEW

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Get an Excalibur Crossbow. Much quieter than a gun, earlier season.

Update: reverse searing worked well. A good hot grill with chops offset for about 4 minutes per side and then 1 minute per side over direct heat worked well. Also was able to find thinner chops for my wife so I could cook all in the same timing, but the thinner chops ended up Medium Well yet still flavorful and reasonably moist. Mine were medium rare and delicious. The only curiousity was that the marinade flavor was very subtle...it could have used more. But, delicious. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8495.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	60659

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice pic!

That's a great pic ATXBill.....so with what I'm seeing....you did 4 per side over indirect and 1 per side over direct? Sorry to be redundant but I just want to be sure I'm understanding.

I'm trying to get back to lamb after 35 years of past puritan "overcook it and slather it with mint jelly". Lord if I EVER taste mint jellly again........but I'd like to appreciate good lamb again. I struggle. Your pic motivates.

Comment

• ATXBill
        ATXBill commented
        Editing a comment
        That's right. I used Meathead's lamb chop marinade, letting it marinade in a dish for about 10 minutes a side. Got the coals very hot (lid off) and then put the meat on the grill (indirect), with lid on. I can't say precisely but it was roughly 4-5 minutes on the first side and then 4 minutes on the other side (again, indirect heat). Then I placed the meat directly over the heat for about 1 minute a side. Due to the marbling in the lamb there was a lot of flare-up so I didn't let it go very long. I then wrapped the chops in heavy foil for about 5 minutes (only to prevent them from cooling too quickly while plating sides).

A couple of thinner chops came out Medium Well (perfect for wifeypoo) and the thicker chops came out Medium Rare (yum). For my taste, they could have used just a wee bit more seasoning. Maybe I could have let them marinade a bit longer. That said, it was my 3rd attempt at Lamb Loin Chops and it was by far my best effort.
        Last edited by ATXBill; February 8, 2015, 01:55 PM.

Lamb is fine at medium well. The culinary gods will not throw thunderbolts your way(they told me this personally). My wife eats all her beef and lamb this way, so I adapt my cooking. My Greek boss eats everything at medium well to well, and adjusts his personal recipes accordingly. His food is excellent. Don't worry about dogma, just cook to your taste and the one's that you love's taste.

Comment

Hey guys...Have a dozen lamb loin chops that I have my eye on for dinner. I am thinking ... a light salt bath and a little garlic while grillin'. Let them get flame kissed and the last min or two throw a little rosemary on there.
        That's just what I am thinking. Open to suggestions!!!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a good plan to me!

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sorry that I'll have to decline your invitation to dinner. But, based on your plan I sure wish I was there!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here