Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reheat Temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reheat Temps

So I was reading this thread:

I've got 2 pork shoulder bone in butts on the MAK this morning. No way will we eat anywhere close to all of it before something will need to be done to keep it safe to eat later. I

which led me down a couple of rabbit holes about reheating food and autolysis (ok, I looked it up and I still don't understand it) and bacteria and grisly death by stomach ailments and I started to wonder how I have made it this far . That brings me to the lamb I recently made using Meatheads recipe. Since it's just the wife and me, we had leftovers. I portioned it into a few bags and vac sealed it. The other day the BH warmed some up in the oven for dinner, but she put the oven on 350 and overcooked it. So for the rest of it, I was considering using the sous vide set at around 130 to reheat, but some of the aforementioned (I always wanted to use that word - thanks, AR) threads on the reheating issue have me nervous about doing that. What would your suggestions be for reheating something like this? Drop the frozen package in some boiling water and turn the stove or down to a simmer maybe?

The temps listed here from USDA are "instant kill" temps. In other words it's safe the instant it hits this temp. *IF* your initial cook pasteurized your meats adequately, you can reheat your meat above 140 and be fine, no need to take a rehetaed burger to 160 for instance.

If not, or to be extra safe, take your meats to these temps upon reheat. Now, these temps don't take into account pasteurization at lower temps with increased time (think how sous vide pasteurizes meat at lower temps). I used to have bookmarked a USDA FSIS chart that showed times at certain temps that would pasteurize different meats, but I cannot find it right now.

Maybe Jerod Broussard knows or has access to the chart I'm thinking of?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here