Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lule Kebab (Ground Lamb) with Pomegranate Glaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lule Kebab (Ground Lamb) with Pomegranate Glaze

Thought I might share this with the community here - It's been a winner for me and its a great change of pace when you are looking to grill some lamb.

When I married my wife, a Buenos Aires Native of Armenian decent, I found that every Armenian household has its version of the ubiquitous Lule Kebab. I’ve tasted quite a few and always felt they could use a boost. This version is packed with a familiar Middle East flavorprint and uses a pomegranate glaze to put it over the top and elevate it from the hum-drum to haute cuisine. Your lule kebab will never be the same. Serve this with a nice green salad, some grilled eggplant or tomatoes and some hummus or baba ganoush. And don’t overlook the glaze for other grilled meats and fish!
    • 1 lb Ground Beef (80/20)
    • 1 lb Ground Lamb
    • 1 Medium Yellow Onion, grated over a bowl with a microplane or a cheese grater
    • ¼ Cup Minced Parsley
    • 2 Tbs Pepper Paste (I use “Sera” brand)
    • 2 ½ Tsp Allspice
    • 2 Tsp Cumin
    • Kosher Salt & Fresh ground Pepper to taste
    • Lavash bread
    • Thinly sliced Lemon, Red Onion, Sumac and Parsely for garnish
    • Pomegranate Glaze (recipe follows)

Method:
    With cold, wet hands mix ingredients and ground meat well. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight. With cold wet hands, mold the meat mixture onto flat skewers or, in a pinch, mold sausage shapes to your liking by hand (remembering to keep them thin enough to cook properly). Place the skewers or sausages on a sheet pan and cover with plastic wrap. Place them in the fridge to firm up. They are easier to grill this way. Light a hot fire in a barbecue grill – your fire is ready when you can only leave your hand for a “4 count” above the grate. Grill the kebabs for about 3 to 4 minutes a side and flip, taking care to avoid flare ups (Lamb is fatty and drippings can cause can flare ups). After flipping, brush with pomegranate glaze. Flip once more and brush the other side.

Remove the kebabs to a tray, and use Lavash bread to slide the meat off of the skewers by wrapping it around the meat and using it to protect your hand. Arrange the meat in a serving platter on top of the lavash, leaving the some hanging over the sides. Place thin lemon and red onion slices around the meat, sprinkle with chopped parsley and sumac. Drizzle some more glaze over the meat. Bring the lavash that’s hanging over the sides of the platter to cover the meat and place on the table.

For the Pomegranate Glaze
    • 1 Cup Beef Stock
    • ¼ Cup Pomegranate Molasses
    • 4 TBS Cold Unsalted butter in 4 pieces
    • 2 TBS Minced Shallots
    • 1 TBS Minced Garlic
    • 1 TBS Olive Oil
    • Pinch Sugar
    • Salt and Pepper to taste

In a small bowl, whisk together the pomegranate molasses and the beef stock. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and the garlic and sauté for a minute, string constantly and being careful not to let the garlic brown. Add the stock mixture and increase the heat to high. Boil for 8 minutes or until the mixture is thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter a piece at a time until melted. Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste. The glaze should be slightly tart and slightly sweet with a smooth consistency that can only come from butter. Keep warm until use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0434.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	56919

Sounds really good. I once made braised short ribs with pomegranate molasses. I made the molasses by mixing pomegranate juice, lemon juice and sugar until it was reduced by about 3/4 and was thick. It was excellent.

DEW

Comment

Love the stuff - BTW - You can buy pomegranate molasses at middle eastern stores if you don't want to go to the added trouble.
      Last edited by scorched_porch; January 26, 2015, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Yes, but I don't have one nearby.

Comment

I spent 2 years in Armenia with the Peace Corps and had some awesome khorovatz! I think the Lule Kebab is more of a Western Armenian dish -- but man, I sure ate some good kebabs and skewered pork bbq while I was over there. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Comment

Yes - I'm sure it's more of a Western Armenian thing. I think that it's great that you served in the Peace Corps there. Give this one a try and let me know how it stacks up!

Comment

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              Will do. I'm sure it's delicious. Thanks again for the cool recipe.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here