Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse-Sear Frenched Lamb Chops with Preserved Meyer Lemon-Rosemary Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse-Sear Frenched Lamb Chops with Preserved Meyer Lemon-Rosemary Rub

Hello Fellow BBQ Enthusiast.

Firstly, in the spirit of full disclosure I first learned about using this technique from a Dave at Adrenaline Barbecue Company. This is my own spin on it. If you have not seen the video watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZxXrJ2wzX0

Frenching a rack of lamb means removing the meat, fat and membranes that connect the individual rib bones. This gives the rack a clean look for an enticing meal. It is a butchering technique that the home chef can do at home with a little practice. You will need a sharp, good quality boning knife. Cut resistant glove are also a good Idea until you get the hang of it. However, you can usually buy Frenched Lamb Racks at your local club store (Costco, BJ’s, Sam’s Club, etc.).

The preserved lemon I use in the recipe we made by yours truly in the winter when Meyer lemons are available. Once preserved and refrigerated they last for months and can be used in a variety of ways. You can find many recipes online. You may use the preserved lemon liquid in place of salt which imparts a deep lemony flavor but is extremely salty. I did not for fear that it would over-power the flavor of the meat.

Ingredients
    2 Frenched Lamb Racks. Normally there are two racks to a package. Look for thick, well-marbled meat.

Rub:
    3-4 Finely Minced Fresh Rosemary Sprigs
    5-6 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme with hard stems removed
    3-4 Garlic Cloves
    1-1/2 Tablespoon Preserved Lemon with Pulp removed, rinsed and finely chopped
    1/4 Sea Salt
    2-3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Gently warm olive oil in a 6 inch cast iron skillet or small sauce pan over low heat. Mix rub ingredients together well using a fork. This technique is to meld the flavors of the ingredients together and allow them to bloom but not to cook them. Once mixed well turn off heat source.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1867.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	533681

Preparing Frenched Lamb Rack:
    Pat surface of lamb dry with a white bar towel or flour sack cloth.
    Remove all silver skin and excess fat. This can take 15-30 mins.
    Cut rack into two bone sections.
    Apply rub to lamb flesh on all sides.
    Return to refrigeration for at least 4 hours but overnight is better.

Name:	IMG_1872.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	533684

Grill Setup:
    I used a 26.75” Weber Kettle and Adrenaline Barbecues’ Slow n’ Sear Plus and Spin-Grate for two-zone cooking.
    Grille Thermometer with grille and food temperature probes
    Instant Read Thermometer

Add 10–15 charcoal briquettes and bring grille temp to 225 using your favorite grille thermometer.

Remove lamb from refrigerator and place it on indirect side of the grille. Insert a temperature probe in to the largest lamb chop.

Setup a charcoal chimney starter 2/3 full and light it when the meat temp reaches 80 degrees. Depending on your charcoal brand and the difficulty getting it fully lit you may need to start your chimney sooner. You want the meat to reach an internal temperature of 130-135 which is medium rare.

Once the coals in the chimney are lit add them to your coals and be sure to spread the coals evenly. Sweep once or twice and open the cleaning blades fully.

Remove the grille and meat temperature probes.

Spin the grate 180 degrees and place the lamb chops just over the coal meat side down but not the bones so the don’t become brittle. after 1 minute spin the grate 90 degrees and replace the lamb chops over the coals, this time meat side up for 1 minute. Next flip the chops on their side for about 30 seconds then repeat for the other side. Finally move the lamb chops to the indirect side and and use you instant read thermometer to to verify desired temperature was reached. If not, replace grille lid and allow the lamb chops to cook for another minute or two before rechecking temperature with your thermometer.

Name:	IMG_1876.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	533680

Once the desired temperature of 130-135 has been achieved move lamb chops to a heavy duty foil lined container, closing the foil tightly and covering the container.

Name:	IMG_1877.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	533682

Now is a good time to toss some fast cooking veggies on the grille. As you can see below I chose corn and asparagus from the finger food group; No utensils required.

Name:	IMG_1882.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	533683

Enjoy!
    Attached Files

Lotsa work but worth the reward. Great job.

Comment

Fantastic looking chops, love lamb !!! You got me at the preserved Meyer lemon, I am defiantly liking that. Also like the aggressive seasoning, that's right up my alley. All in all a great write up and a good looking meal to be sure !!! Kudos to you sir !!!

Comment

Nice contribution. Thanks!

Comment

Great write up! Lamb, garlic, lemon. Mmmmm...

Comment

Great write-up! We are big lamb fans and will try this soon. We also have a bunch of Meyer lemons that friends recently gave us.

Comment

Lookin' good.

Comment

Yup, love the writeup, and the recipe! I'm a big fan of lamb myself. Nice one!

Comment

Oh my, this sounds incredible. Great write up, thank you for sharing your experience. This type of stuff is very valuable to the site.

Comment

Looks and sounds spectacular!!! Very nicely done sir!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here