Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Lamb

im reading that high end restaurants get most of the lamb produced in North America. Does anyone have a reliable source for those of us that want to cook it at home?
    thanks!

Check Craigslist or www.localharvest.org to see if you can find a local farmer to purchase direct from.

Comment

Your best bets are as Mr ComfortablyNumb stated. I would also try to find, and then get up with a local shepard beforehand to see if you can lay claim to some future lambs during the lambing season. A small deposit now and an agreed upon price might save you bucks later when the lamb goes for full market price.

Just looked at my records. Last live lamb was 6.25 per lb and I paid about 50 cents per lb to butcher. Current market prices near here for butchered is 14.80 per lb for lamb including racks. All based on pick up at farms in Western Maryland. Don’t know how this compares anywhere else.
      Last edited by Donw; July 3, 2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I live in South Florida, no luck on the finding a local source.

Comment

Then try the Local Harvest store: https://www.localharvest.org/store/search.jsp?nm=lamb

Comment

Awesome, thank you. I’m assuming you are a lamb expert or close. Is the difference in taste between one of these beautiful pieces of meat and what I can get at the local Whole Foods (shipped from New Zealand, literally could not be further away) worth the price difference? I’m seeing $30/lb easy

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Not really, but I am a farmer and am listed on Local Harvest. I get my lambs from the farmer who raised the grain I feed to my hogs. Some may cringe, but I grind the entire animal as 'lamburger' is my meat of choice for burgers. And to be honest, I've never had imported lamb.

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              ComfortablyNumb Wish we were neighbors! Could work out some kinda deal. I LOVE lamb, but love the ground part the very least of all. Thank God for a decent merguez recipe. Go figure...

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              HorseDoctor You've said so in the past, which is why I place you as more of a lamb aficionado than I. Maybe one of these days I'll try a cut, but oh how I love lamburger! I dearly wish I could hook you up, my supplier takes them to auction so I get a good price by saving him the trouble of trailering it to the stockyard.

You gentlemen clearly don’t live in metro South Florida. I too am wanting to use the lamb for fresh burgers!!!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              I just took my wife to the airport today so she can go visit family in Florida where she was raised. 39 years ago before we got married I told her I don't like heat and humidity, so don't expect me to ever go there. I've been true to my word.

Come in January it’s heavenly.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              But then I'd miss all the beautiful snow here in NE Washington! Call me crazy, but when the last bit of snow melts in the spring I'm ready for winter.

Funny but our local HEB buys and sells lamb from Colorado. Very mild and delicious. I gotta think you can source it somewhere in the Southeast.

Also Costco sells lamb but I believe it’s from New Zealand, I really don’t like it, flavor is too strong.

Comment

• PappyBBQ
              PappyBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe the Costco lamb is from Australia. Been awhile since I bought some. I had a friend who worked for Air New Zeland and he used to bring me lamb since it was not available in stores here is the US. Far as I know that's still the case.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here