Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traditional Frenched Rack of Lambs - Grilled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Frenched Rack of Lambs - Grilled

Picked up some racks of lamb the other day from Costco on sale for about $9.99/lb. Still pricey but one of the GF's favorite meals.

Trimmed them up

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-20 182117-1965511.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	42093

Slathered with Dijon mustard, then coated with a mixture of bread crumbs, fresh rosemary, fresh Italian parsley, oregano, minced garlic & paprika.

Name:	2014-12-20 184823-3401281.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	42094

Foiled the tips, sprayed with EVOO and put on the Weber at 325 with the Smokenator. I've done these on the gas grill a number of times, but this was the first time on the Weber. Thirty minutes later they were at 145:

Name:	2014-12-20 201355-2589742.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	42095

Name:	2014-12-20 202001-2084103.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	42096
    Last edited by The Burn; December 20, 2014, 10:43 PM.

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Comment

As we say in the biz: very nice, clean work. I'd be proud to serve, and be served those chops, my brother! The hard part about classic recipes, such as this, is one can't cover mistakes with a sauce, etc. If the balance is not right, the dish will not be right. Having cooked a ton of lamb racks, I know a good one when I see it, and yours are excellent. Thanks so much for making me hungry! Happy Holidays from Houston, Alaska!

Comment

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Strat, appreciate it from a professional. These are one of my "specialties," since the GF loves them, but it was the first time on charcoal so I'm glad they turned out.

I'm not a huge fan of lamb (other than traditional sliced gyro meat), but that looks great.

I bet all of the savory elements you added knocked the gaminess that lamb seems to have out.

Comment

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, I love me some good gyro and tzatziki and good potato.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        My OTB Greek friends call Gyro ("KHEE-ro") the small lamb cubes marinated in lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper and EVOO then skewered and cooked on a grill that most of us would call shish kebab. I don't really know what they think of, or call, the stuff that's chopped up and formed into a giant cylinder and cooked on a rotisserie.

DEW

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        The term, which I've always heard pronounced Yee-ro by those of Greek heritage, means "turn," so it makes sense that it's the stuff done on a vertical rotisserie. I've seen that put together a few times and it's been hunks of meat, not chopped.

We love lamb at our house. I think it is my wife's favorite. Thanks for the great pics and post.

Comment

I've got two racks in the freezer right now--I usually make them on the gasser. Did you think they tasted better, done on your Weber, Burn? What wood did you use?

Kathryn

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think there was a noticeable difference Kathryn, although it's hard to compare over time (my memory isn't that good). Really just did them this way because my gasser is on its last legs and is barely used anymore. I didn't use any wood because I just wanted the flavor of the lamb, the mustard, etc.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the additional info, Burn. I do them without wood on the gasser and was just wondering if I was missing a good opportunity to enhance the flavor. Guess not! I've got to say the way you prepped those racks with mustard and herbs, garlic and spices--there's no way they wouldn't have tasted fantastic, with your spot-on cooking technique.
          Kathryn

Excellent post! Those lamb racks look fabulous! Classic spices, which I really like. If it ain't broken...
        I did lamb yesterday, really love the flavor.

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here