Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb suggestions

OK, I am new to this web site & tried the search on this subject but never really go the answer to my questions so I need some help. My wife wants lamb for Christmas dinner. So what can you tell me about do's and don'ts about lamb. What is the best rub for it and what is the best wood for somking. I have also seen different internal temps what do you all suggest?

This probably isn't what you have in mind for Christmas dinner, but it's my favorite lamb preparation: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php...=detail&id=891

Shoulder is a really nice cut too. Or a rack of chops.

This one would be suitably festive: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/h...day-roast.html

Remember, almost any oven recipe can be adapted for outside cooking.

As far as internal temps, I tend towards medium rare. Shoulder sometimes get braised, so there may be some guidance out there for doing it more BBQ style.
    Last edited by EdF; November 26, 2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure about a Christmas Dinner because this isn't fancy, but Lamb Shashik is super good and loved by everyone around here on the grill. Super easy also. I'm making it tonight just out of coincidence. Here is a picture from last time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100787.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	415822

Comment

This was hung on the PBC but I've done legs on the Weber as well. All good. Spices and garlic baby, thats all she needs.Click image for larger version  Name:	94901BA9-A9CB-4363-9A85-2BCA06E4C683.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	415824Click image for larger version  Name:	82DD2E48-78CD-47CD-846D-9E0688E13189.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	415825

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks outstanding!

This also isn't fancy, but ground lamb (lamburger) makes the best burgers. If you grind your own you can make blends with beef, pork, or game. I can't offer any other advice about preparing it, the burgers are so good I grind the entire lamb when I harvest it.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting in that I love lamb but without a doubt my least favorite part is the ground lamb. Just started making merguez sausage and that’s ok. I’ll swap you all the grind I get for any other cut.

I second @HawkerXP's recommendation of leg of lamb. I smoked both bone-in and boneless on my Smoke Vault, and either way
        comes out wonderfully. Dry brine with 2.5 tsp of salt overnight. The next day cut a few slits in the meat and coat with Dolly's rub.
        I usually run the smoke at about 250 F for about three hours to get ~125 F internal temperature. Then sear the roast for about 5 minutes
        total. Perfect medium rare and really tender. Great with a simple board sauce.

Name:	IMG_20170416_170153770.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	415880

Name:	IMG_20170416_172430516.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	415881

Comment

Love lamb! Eat it a lot!!!

Do:
          Try to find American lamb vs. NZ or Australian!!! American lamb is almost always grain finished (and larger cuts). Imported is grass finished and miniature in size by comparison. Most American lamb goes to high end restaurants (for good reason). Most high volume markets sell the imports. Apples & oranges difference.

Leg or rack are the prime cuts for good reason. Different, but either would be an awesome tribute for your Christmas celebration. Leg will feed more folks, but a gorgeous rack of lamb is an awesome thing if you're feeding a smaller group.

When choosing a spice/rub mixture, remember that lamb loves rosemary and garlic. IMO: It's also pretty partial to some thyme. Dolly's rub is pretty good but rosemary & garlic (plus salt & pepper) is all you really need.

Did I mention lamb loves garlic...

Don'ts:

DON'T Overcook your lamb!!! Medium rare is perfect! If you must cook beyond medium, just stick to poultry! Don't do that to lamb. Ok, if you want to take a shoulder all the way to "pullable temps" (see MH's Sunlite Kentucky Black BBQ sauce & dip for lamb & mutton), that's OK, but not a way to treat a leg of rack of lamb please!

Grilling is great, but keep the smoke very light. A little fruitwood is OK, but don't let the smoke overpower the taste of the lamb. Let it shine!

Don't serve mint jelly with lamb!!! Good God, where did that tradition ever come from??? Probably to cover up the taste of over age MUTTON. There is no reason to put that on lamb! None! Seriously, NONE!

For those that have had limited exposure to lamb, DON"T expect it to taste like beef just because it looks like "red meat". It's NOT beef and doesn't taste like it! Better, if I had to vote (MH too), but it's damned sure different and you won't like it if you expect it to taste like beef! Be open minded going in and you will likely come to love lamb!

Did I mention the #1 don't is DO NOT OVERCOOK LAMB!!!

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            My lamb comes from a farm about 45 miles away, so check on American. I grow a quarter to half an acre of garlic, so check on the garlic. Have never seen mint jelly, so check on the jelly. I suppose my only vice is the meat grinder. Oh, and overcooking: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...lls-of-the-pit posts #1 #18

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            So...... HorseDoctor tell us, how do you REALLY feel about lamb? LoL! Totally agree with you!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Garlic!

I like cooking the lamb shoulder like a Boston Butt at 255. Because of the size it won’t take as long to get to an internal temp of 200, but do plan on a long cook.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            I too love a pulled lamb shoulder! I just don't envision it as a Christmas "feast" quite the same as a roast leg or rack of lamb.

Definitely agree with LA Pork Butt. A low and slow cook on a lamb shoulder makes an awesome roast.

Comment

Third vote for low and slow pulled lamb shoulder. MH's Kentucky Black Sauce for pulled lamb is the most underrated recipe on this site!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the black sauce with the shoulder. My only problem is lamb is so expensive here in Texas. I usually serve mine for Easter.

Thanks everyone, I will post pictures

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here