Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Street Taco Goat BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street Taco Goat BBQ

What do you think?
    What and am I missing?

I’m having a BBQ Goat Street Taco Holiday get together on the 20th and here are my plans:

I’ll be preparing ½ of a young Boer goat which is about 20#. This goat was hand raised by a 4-H kid and has moderate external fat, lean rib eye.
    I will cut the goat so I have several sections. Last time I cooked a half goat I did two sections, the shanks got really dry. I hope I can save a bit of the shank this time.

My plans are to inject the goat with a mix of butter, beer, lime, salt, spices of cumin, garlic. My thoughts are to simmer this mix and cool before injecting.
    Before grilling, rub goat with olive oil and mix of spices of garlic, cumin, chili, salt, pepper).

Pellet BBQ plans: LOW at 200 degrees for smoke, mesquite and oak. (I hope I still have some mesquite pellets).
    After 2 hours, wrap in foil, add beer for moisture and cilantro.
    eand continue at 225 degrees. I’m thinking of adding cilantro to a portion of the goat as not everyone likes the taste. Based the other ½ goats I’ve cooked, I figure another 3-4 hours for the meat to pull off the bone.

Meat will be served with small fresh grilled corn tortillas, homemade pico de gallo and or onion/cilantro mix.

Sounds great! I am not sure about goat, but I wonder if that magic 160 F point holds for a wrapping point with that kind of meat.

Wish I could score some goat to experiment with.

Comment

I'd try it. I worry about injecting with lime juice though. Have you done this before? I'm picturing getting a zing of lime in a bite of red meat. Can't say I like what I picture, but again I've never had it.

Comment

Hey Boardlr, I've done this sort of thing many times(not with goat, however). I used to cook Mexican cuisine for a living, so the flavors are very familiar, so I'll give you my "secret" infusion technique for deadly tacos from hell. Take your beer and heat to about 120 or so in a saucepan. Use lime zest (not juice at this point), cumin, and your cilantro. You do not have to chop at this point, or at all really depending on how much cilantro flavor you want in the meat. Keep hot, not boiling for about 30 minutes. Taste. When you can taste "strong" cilantro, remove the cilantro and add the rest of your stuff. Then inject. If you like a stronger cilantro flavor(I do) then use an immersion blender and puree the cilantro in your infusion too. This really helps for long cooks as the cilantro flavor dissipates somewhat over time due to its volatility. You will need a lot of zest for a 20# cook, about 5 limes worth. Do not puree the zest, in the infusion, as it will bitter. When you mix in your butter, then use the juice of 2 or 3 limes till you get a "tang." Then comes the salt, and it should taste a bit saltier than you care for, as it has to salt a whole bunch of meat. I use a variation of this recipe(I add orange and lemon zest too) for pork, and the tacos we make are out of this world. The lime zest gives that lime flavor without uncontrolled acidity. If you want it more "limey"(like my wife),keep some lime for squeezing on the cooked meat to give you more depth. I hope this helps...

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I want to try this really bad, sounds awesome. Do you have the entire recipe by chance? If so, I would really like to see it. Thanks!!!!

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          Okay, here is the basic recipe: 1 cup very strong stock(use bullion here, as the bouillon is your salt) ½ bunch cilantro, 1 tsp cumin, 2 tsp mild chili powder,½ tsp chipotle powder(you can sub ancho, etc.), 1 tsp garlic powder, the zest of 2 limes and the juice from 1 lime. Heat ingredients in saucepan until hot but not boiling(about 130ish), hold hot for about 20 min. Remove from heat. Strain into another pot, then add 2-4 oz butter or bacon fat. The leaner the meat(like chicken, boar, goat, moose, etc) the more fat. I match the bullion to the meat, for example, chicken to chicken. If you are doing pork, use 3 parts chicken, 1 part beef. Since I don't really use a recipe for this, here is my best recollection. This should have a real strong flavor, however, adjust to your tastes.

Thanks Strat50. I'll go with your suggestions. How would it turn out to add whole cilantro to the foil, too much? I might try on a section.

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          By all means use cilantro when you foil. It's my experience that you achieve a greater depth of flavor when you use your herbs/spices several times in the cooking process rather than just at one stage. Just use a little less cilantro at each stage, but add the cilantro more often.

This sounds amazing. I'm doing my first goat cook on a PBC tomorrow -- three racks of ribs marinated overnight in yogurt and garam masala with a few other things (basically a tandoori chicken marinade without the red food coloring). If this works out I'll have to try your cook. Remember to post pics!

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yogurt marinades are so good. We do a yogurt and Thai red curry marinade for chicken, and as a wet-rub for fish. It is sublime. I think a trip down Garam Masala Road, with lamb, is in order next. It's nice to see that others like the "Q" traditions from other cultures. Great post.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Just had some Chicken Tika Masala last night. Amazing.

• carolts
          carolts commented
          Editing a comment
          It came out really well except for not having the butcher cut through the backbone to aid in dismantling the ribs. I'll be cooking goat again soon.

Prepping the goat.

1. Before

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	41770

2. During - removing fell and fat.

Name:	IMG_0649.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	41772

I removed the front leg / shoulder. The leg is lying over the neck.

Name:	IMG_0650.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	41771

4. Rubbed with oil and spices. Going in refrigerator overnight. In morning I'll inject and BBQ.
        These pieces are the hind leg and tenderloin.

Name:	IMG_0647.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	41774

Had to enjoy a handmade shaken margarita while prepping the injection.
        Smells so good! Can't wait for tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_0646.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	41775
        Attached Files

Comment

On the grill,.

Name:	IMG_0651.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	41843

After one hour.

Name:	IMG_0655.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	41844

Comment

After two hours. Wrapping with cilantro, moister and garlic cloves.

Name:	IMG_0656.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	41868

Three more sections to wrap.

Name:	IMG_0657.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	41869

Attached Files

Comment

First section to be finished after 5 hours. So good, I'm very happy with this cook. Now we'll see how the company likes it.

Name:	IMG_0658.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	41962

Back / tenderloin finished shortly after. Just waiting for hind leg.

Name:	IMG_0660.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	41963

Comment

Final photo - tasty goat tacos.

Name:	IMG_0661.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	42068

Comment

Wow, that looks amazing!!

Comment

If that tastes anything like it looks it's gotta be wonderful!

Comment

Beautiful! Just freakin' beautiful! Well done!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here