Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Que rack of lamb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Que rack of lamb?

Hi all,
    Background
    • Just bought a new grill (Weber kettle, Slow-n-Sear gets here today). I'm gonna fiddle for the next few days to get my temp control down.
    • I've been cooking things with Sous Vide for about a year now, and I usually finish in my cast iron skillet.
    • My sister is coming to visit this weekend, which also promises to be the first summer-y weather weekend of the year round here!

Question: I want to cook two racks of lamb. I'm intrigued by the Sous Vide Que technique in this article http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...big-chill.html and I think I want to try it.
    I've never had any sort of smoked lamb before however, and I'm having a hard time imagining how it'll be. Additionally I'm wondering when to put any rub I use on...in the bag when I sous vide? Or before putting it on the indirect side to reheat?

Open to better suggestions too! Rack of lamb is a new one for me at home and if anyone's got any killer recipes I'd love to hear them!

Put the herbs on after you take it out of the bag. Shock it in ice when you take it out of the bath. Give it some time in the fridge to cool down (like overnight). Then smoke low until you get to your serving temp (internal).

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly! A little smoke does fine with lamb. Just don't cook a rack of lame past 130F!!! Enjoy!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      What the Doctor said!

Thanks EdF and HorseDoctor !

Comment

Don't smoke it, just finish on hot grill. Even better, build your hot fire with wood.
      If you still wish to smoke then use the mildest wood possible.

Sous Vide at 131 degrees no more than 4 hours.
      Take it out while you build your fire. This period will cool it down enough so it doesn't overcook on the grill.
      Get that fire WARP 10

Here is a sample:

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That's definitely going to work for nice, medium rare, which is my preference. I was confusing shoulder with rack, sorry about that!

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        IMO: A quick smoke while searing is a perfect place for a potent wood like hickory. My favorite wood for steaks, burgers & chops. You'll only have a few minute to add some smoke flavor.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here