Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb Breast try-1 (fail) and try-2 (success)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb Breast try-1 (fail) and try-2 (success)

Wandering around Wally World a couple of weeks ago, I ran across something called Lamb Breast. It was pretty cheap, so I grabbed a couple of packages. These were essentially the same as bone-in pork belly, but lamb. Lots of fat, see picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	898
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	328038

I couldn't find much of anything on the web about how to smoke or Q lamb breast (there's a couple of mentions here in the pit, but nothing definitive). Anyway, I found a site that said to rub with simple salt/pepper/cumin rub, smoke at 230ºF for a while then grill on a "hot grill" for a short time. So I tried something like this for the first piece, smoked at 230ºF for 4 hours to 180ºF IT. Looked pretty good at this point:

Name:	IMG_9300.JPG
Views:	994
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	328039

A lot of the fat rendered out as seen in the catch pan in the smoker. This is where things went south. I moved it to a hot gas grill and turned my back for a minute or two. Came back to a massive bonfire in the gasser. Its embarrassing, but here's what the final result looked like.

Name:	IMG_9304.JPG
Views:	744
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	328040

The meat itself tasted OK after dissecting it away from the still excessive un-rendered fat and char, but overall, I have to score this a fail.

Today, I decided to try a second piece of breast. This time I trimmed away as much of the fat as possible and rubbed with something akin to Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust (minus much of the pepper and plus cinnamon and cumin).

Name:	IMG_9310.JPG
Views:	756
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	328041

Smoked at 275ºF for 3½ hours and ditched the grill step.

Name:	IMG_9312.JPG
Views:	796
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	328042

This trial resulted in tasty "lamby" flavored meat with a nice bark and not too much fat.

Name:	IMG_9319.JPG
Views:	855
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	328043

Hopefully some of the pit members for Australia and/or New Zealand can weigh in with a critique or recommended method as I still have two more pieces of lamb breast. Meanwhile, I'll stick with grilling lamb steaks (cut from the leg) to rare-medium rare. Lamb steak is probably my favorite kind of "steak".

Looks great! I'll have to try smoking lamb. The searing doesn't serm necessary with the nice bark you achieved.

Comment

Great job! I think this place could do with more posts about lamb (and kid!). I am as far from New Zealand as it's humanly possible (Italy) but I love grilling legs of lamb any time I can. I'll keep an eye out for belly from now on

Comment

It looks really good! I have had lamb in restaurants and never cared much for it, but I did a lamb shoulder a couple of times and really enjoyed it. I think it will be my Easter cook in the future. I think I would have like your cook. When I see that cut cheap I'll be cooking it low and slow.

Comment

To be honest, I'd have helped eat any excess of either cook, they both look good to me.
          I got no problem with a lil' char...
          Nice job, Sir, an' great post/pics!

Comment

I notice that it was US lamb which will usually be quite different than it's Australian or NZ counterpart. It will be a larger cut and contain more fat (grain finished). Breast is a fatty cut to begin with so you're on the right track with low & slow to render fat. With lamb you can't go wrong with a rub containing garlic and rosemary Like Meathead's Dolly's rub. Enjoy!

Comment

I just found some lamb breast at Wally's today. I saw a recipe in the last day or two that talked about lamb breast. I got the feeling that it resembled pork belly, so was surprised to see the ribs. I'll share the recipe if I can re-locate it. And I seem to think it should be boned ahead of time.

Comment

I found the recipe, and I was sorta right. It's a 2 part cook, and the bones are removed before the final steps.

Here, a lamb breast cooked into tender excellence in the oven, under a sheet of aluminum foil, its skin rubbed with garlic, rosemary and mint The result is cooled, its flavors concentrating overnight To serve, the home cook cuts the meat from the bone, then sears it

I also found another recipe from the BBQ editor/reporter at Texas Monthly. And he has a link to Meathead's Black Sauce for lamb.

I ate a lot of lamb around the state a few months back, but it's a protein I had never cooked in my own smoker. Given that the most common cut found

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here