Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First rack of lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First rack of lamb

Since this was the first time I've cooked this, I decided to keep it very simple so I could establish a baseline. Smoked low and slow at 225F using apple wood logs. From the time I put them in til I took them out (at 130F) was one hour, about what I expected.

Seasoning was very simple, nothing but thyme and celery seed on the exposed meat.

My wife's cousin said they turned out good. I don't really know what lamb should taste like, but it seemed okay to me, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160710_183331.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	193215 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160710_183526.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	193216 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160710_183834.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	193217

Lamb should taste like tender awesomeness. They look great to me. My dad always used thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper mixed with olive oil into a paste and grilled them. Looked a lot like your pics. Well done sir.

Comment

Those look great! Nice cook

Comment

Nice cook boftx I haven't never cook lamb either and probably never will

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          TBH, I probably won't do more anytime soon. I might get small amounts at the store just to nail down the seasoning, but my family decidedly prefers beef and pork.

Should be tender and delicious. The fat can range anywhere from luscious to "when did the dog crap in my mouth and why is it coating every surface of my tongue with dog crap."

If the fat didn't coat your mouth with unpleasantness, you did it right.

Comment

Nice cook boftx ... It's always fun to try something different now and then.👍

I'm thinking I should try smoked cheesecake.😆

Comment

If placed equal distance between a rack of lamb and a ribeye, I would die of starvation trying to decide which to eat. That said, I rarely smoke lamb. Usually hot grill it. The most important thing is to get it fresh. THe cryovaced racks I have bought have not been very good.

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! These were cryovac'ed from New Zealand. I haven't found any fresh yet. I'll hot grilled in the future with just a couple of chops at a time now that I have a baseline. There is no doubt in mind that seasoning is everything for these.

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
            The most important thing is to get it fresh.
            All the more reason to come spend some time with us in Colorado!

Comment

boftx - very nicely done lamb! Beautiful pics. Kudos to you!

Comment

boftx - looks great!

Comment

Lamb chop lollipops! Those look great boftx .

Comment

Though I've never had lamb, or it has been so long ago that I can't remember, I would definitely eat that. Well done boftx! Beautiful photos too.

Comment

Agree with MH about lamb vs. rib eye! Try American lamb before making a decision. Cook it like a miniature ribeye. Lamb loves a little rosemary & garlic! Mint is traditional, but I don't think it adds a thing to lamb. Then if you still don't like it, OK , that just keeps the demand/price lower for those of us that do. Just my $0.05 worth.

Comment

• boftx
                        boftx commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's pretty much the route I will take. Not going to decide on one cook. The main thing was to get a feel for how it cooks. If I can get a flavor profile I like, great. If not, so be it.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here