Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mysterious Goat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mysterious Goat...

Morning/evening everyone. I was after some advice on cooking a goat shoulder. I've never done it before and most of the info I can find on is for oven roasted or braised. There was some other posts on here about cooking a whole goat but nothing specific to what I have which is a 3lb boneless shoulder.

I have cooked lamb shoulder in the past and actually did a fantastic one from Meathead's excellent book a couple of weeks ago. :-) Sadly though, no goat recipes but maybe it's similar to lamb?

So I was wondering how do I cook it and will it dry out as it's not as fatty as other cuts of meat? I'm even struggling to find out what marinades or rubs to use and what the ideal internal temperature should be! I have just dry brined with salt at this stage and have it wrapped up and waiting in the fridge for further instructions.

I'm as always very grateful for any advice you can provide. Thank you!

I would gamble and cook it like a butt or lamb shoulder, but I would wrap it at the time it would tend to stall. Or, if it wasn't too pricey I would just cook it at 225 unwrapped the entire way.

Comment

I just read that goat meat is similar to venison. Much leaner than lamb. Some of our venison fans might want to chime in here with suggestions ...

Comment

I have done some goat and flavor is a tiny bit like lamb (IMO) so MH's lamb rub should work well. I've only ever done chops so just guessing on a roast. Some US meat bred goats carry some fat but I have no clue what a "Down Under" goat would be like as far as fat/finish??? If it's lean I would probably inject with something (beef broth?) as well as wrap to try to keep it moist. If it's got some fat, treat it like a piece of lamb. Again IMO; goat is good, but there is a reason lamb is more popular (it's great)... Let us know how it works.

Comment

When I'm cooking a new cut of meat... First I look for cooking instructions on the packaging. Almost always those instructions are suggested for cooking in your kitchen oven. They usually suggest a cooking temperature and if you're lucky they give you the optimum finished internal temp too.

Remember... Your grill/smoker is nothing more/less than an outdoor oven. I would lean toward cooking at the suggested temp on the package. It's red meat so I'd tend to cook to the same IT you like your steaks at, 130°/135° or 140°.

Just what I'd do...

Comment

Different cuts of meat are more or less the same regardless of animal (with respect to cooking approach, fat marbling et.c.).

In this case, a goat shoulder is no different from a lamb shoulder or a beef shoulder. By that I mean it comes from the front of the animal, typically meaning it needs to be cooked for a longer time. Indirect, then reverse sear.

The difference is of course meat flavor, as well as fat content and marbling. As for the marbling; it does help somewhat with wrapping in alu foil for leaner meats in my opinion. In this case I would cook it indirect like any shoulder, then wrap it in foil. Just my 2 cents.

PS this assumes you have more or less the whole shoulder, and not just the blade steak for example. DS

Comment

Thanks everyone. It went pretty well all in all. I did have the whole shoulder with decent marbling so I treated it like a lamb shoulder which was fairly accurate. Cooked it around 225F for 7 hours and I wrapped it in foil when the internal temp reached 160F and took it off close to 200F.

I marinated it with fresh thai bird chillies, ginger, garlic, parsley and a good quality olive oil. It wasn't falling apart when I was carving it as such but was certainly very tender. Goat is definitely on the menu from now on!

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks very tasty!

How you cook it depends a lot of what kind of goat it came from. Young goats can be slow cooked on the grill and just use one of Meatheads recipes for lamb is close enough. They don't have much fat on them so wipe em down with cooking oil before applying rub and to help stop them drying out. You can wrap the thin parts of the legs in foil to stop them burnin up.

Old goats are destined for the crock pot and slow cook em for 8-12 hours to soften them up. Try to use just nanny goats as Billy goats are better suited for dog food but if you really want to use them, soak in milk for a day to remove the gamminess from then.
              I love goat meat and probably one of the reasons they are not as popular as lamb is that they are S.O.B to skin!

Comment

• Sydney Simon
                Sydney Simon commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Ahumadora! Some great advice there :-)

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here