Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Doing French Rack of Lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Doing French Rack of Lamb

So I have reviewed Meathead’s work on the topic. I may have done a leg of lamb at some point but it has been a while.

Rack of lamb is incredibly rich and succulent, especially when cooked medium rare. Here are tips and tricks for grilling the perfect whole rack of lamb or lollipops (lamb chops), including how to trim them and season them.

So, basically treat this like a steak and smoke to say 125 and sear to 140 for medium? With Dolly’s rub? It seems pretty simple. Anything I am missing?

This is for New Year’s Day.

I like to marinade in sheep dip first, but you got the general idea down

Comment

I also need to look up SV cooks.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Honestly I'd say skip the SV with a good rack of lamb. It is soooo tender already.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee the SV steps for rack of lamb are essentially the same as I’d do for steak. I guess I will have to put this up to a family vote!

I use Steven Raichlen's recipe for Mediterranean Grilled Rack of Lamb. It has a nice tasting paste/rub on it and he grills rather than smokes it. If you want the recipe, let me know, I have it in Paprika. Otherwise, let us know how it turns out, I have always wanted to try smoking it!

Comment

Lamb chops in a roast. Haven't had lamb for a couple of years. Thanks for the reminder.
        You Done Good

Comment

A proper rack of lamb is near heavenly. My SIL recently had us over for her version, which was a slight twist on Robert Irvine's recipe, and it was one of the best pieces of meat I've ever tried. It wasn't even grilled.

Comment

I just like going with an herbaceous rub made into a paste and grill to medium rare. Grilling makes for a better flavor than just in an oven or a broiler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lamb 08.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1528963

Weather was horrible, really high winds this weekend so didn't much feel like a long, slow cook outside. Decided instead to do some fast grilling and got out a rack

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve, this looks (as usual) outstanding. I may repurpose a few ideas here for my rosemary Pomegranate version.

IMHO the best way to cook a rack of lamb is to slice it into individual bones, hit it with some s&p, then sear quickly on a hot surface like flat side of Grill Grates to get a nice crust on both sides of each chop. Assuming you sear long enough (say, 45 seconds plus), it can't be too rare cuz the chops are so thin. If a marinade is a must, try EVOO, balsamic, fresh minced garlic, and fresh rosemary, (plus s&p) for a few hours.

Manna from heaven.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here