Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Boneless Leg of Lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Boneless Leg of Lamb

I've mentioned this in other threads and did one up today and remembered to take photos. This is a 5 lb boneless leg of lamb (from Costco).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	14385

It gets garlic slivers inserted in various places, oilve oiled and then rubbed with a concoction of kosher salt, turbinado, garlic, onion, dry mustard powder, oregano, tarragon, thyme & basil. Sits for about 30 minutes while the smoker is getting steady.

Name:	IMG_0713.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	14386

Cooked at 235-250 on my GOSM with oak from Merlot casks. It was a challenging day - hot, then it rained and I had the patio umbrella up, but then we got some sideways rain that dropped my temp to 210 real quick, then the sun came boring out again. All in all it took 4 hours to get up to 145.

Name:	IMG_0715.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	14387

We were hungry, so I only let it rest for 10 minutes, but it was plenty. Nicely medium rare in the middle and a little more done on the ends for those that prefer it.

Name:	IMG_0716.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	14388

With some roasted cauliflower for me, the Atkins dieter

Name:	IMG_0718.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	14389

This is fast becoming my favorite smoked meat. It's cheaper than even round eye roast, is a relatively quick cook and is tasty as can be.

Nice! I too use oak from barrels, although mine was whiskey. I don't find much lamb where I shop but if you say it's cheaper than eye of round I will keep my eyes open. Never had lamb, but I know how popular it is and want to try it out.

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      The boneless leg of lamb at Costco was 4.96 lbs @ $5.49/lb. The eye round I got at Costco, which was a 2-pack (or a whole roast), was either $5.19 or $5.39/lb. So actually the lamb was a few cents more. The "deluxe" eye roast at my butcher was $7.39/lb

• bbantel
      bbantel commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, hands down, Costco has some of the best lamb I've ever seen. I think it's all New Zealand, which is a primo area for lamb. Kind of off topic, but its the only place I will ever buy lamb chops.

So yeah, what does lamb taste like again?

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Um, lamb tastes, well, lamb-y. Sorry, I really don't know how to describe it. Maybe, richer tasting. Leg of lamb is not at all a tough piece of meat, hence only needing 3-4 hours on the smoker.

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Chicken is easy to describe since it supposedly tastes like everything, I don't know how I would describe beef though so makes since. By richer do you mean gamey? Looks a little like ham to me. Just trying to figure out if its something my picky horde would eat.

This looks great Burn! I've always done a similar thing with garlic, but then I've only ventured into poking rosemary amongst the garlic (yet oddly, I always held the [false] belief that poking meat means you lose juice, go figure - I must have somehow always known the truth deep down), adding some EVO and cooking it 225 until it hits 130-135. Something about rosemary and lamb just melts my heart, but your spice selections have my mouth watering!

I've been reading MH's leg of lamb recipe and thinking about other skills we've taken on from AR, like dry brine, uniform shape, reverse sear, etc, and really want to try a leg with my basic recipe, just with MH's touch.

Comment

Leg of lamb must be cheaper, the place I normally go to had rack of lamb, but it was $15 a pound!

Comment

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, by comparison, the rack of lamb at Costco goes for $11.99/lb. I was thinking the other day about this. Rack of lamb is a higher end dish, so they probably have a lot of leg to sell to keep up with that demand.

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm closer to the $2 pork butt end of things!

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear you, John. While beef is my first love and this leg of lamb has become a favorite, I'd be much happier with the pork butt cost too. But since the GF is my everyday eating companion and doesn't care much for it, I don't get to do it much. As for the rack of lamb, that is a special occasion only meal, like for her recent birthday where I did traditional french racks (Dijon with bread crumbs & spices) but on the grill.

I really screwed up a leg of lamb the only time I smoked one. It was worse than the time I made tri tip with meatheads memphis dust haha! It was a long while ago so I don't remember exactly what wood, but it was way too much. It had such a horrible smokey taste that I've not tried again. Maybe I will, which wood did you guys use? I do love lamb big time and make meatheads lamb lolipops fairly often... which are awesome... maybe thats why I've not been compelled until now to think about smoking a leg

Very glad to hear about your success.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Adam do you need help setting up your signature? See Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel, tip #1 will help you with that. If for some reason you can't get it, PM either myself or Pit Boss and we'll get you set up. This helps us all see what equipment you're working with, since we forget with thousands of members here already. It also lets you brag to the world

Adam I would treat lamb like beef, as far as wood goes. Red meats tend to not fair too well with a lot of smoke (as you've found out). I'd try sticking with one or two small chunks, give it no more than an hour or so of smoke and try it. It's still very edible if you think it could've used more, but it's just bad if you overdo it. I learned that lesson by experience as well. Although I've never done lamb, your experience makes me think they're similar in this context. Pork & chicken can really take the smoke, especially fruit wood which is mild and this is how I approached beef...mistake. When I do beef I give ti a stronger wood like oak or pecan (hickory and pecan are similar) but limited smoke time. I use more well-lit (non-smoking) charcoal for heat when doing beef, FWIW.

Comment

Adam, I've used red wine barrel wood, which is oak, each time I've done leg of lamb. Since it's the staves chopped up, they're more like flat 2" x 1" x 1/2" pieces than chunks. Last cook I used about 16 or so over the course of 4 hours. Started with 6, then added a few every hour. This was with my gas GOSM. I haven't yet done one on my kettle/smokinator combo. That's an idea for next weekend.

Comment

Hey would the bonless leg of lamb work on the Pit Barrel? I'm thinking 2 or 3 hooks. Any thoughts

Comment

• scorched_porch
            scorched_porch commented
            Editing a comment
            I've cooked a 5 pound piece of chuck on the PBC with two hooks. There's no reason you couldn't do a boneless leg of lamb on it. PLEASE let me know how it comes out if you do it.

• The Burn
            The Burn commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't have any experience with the PBC or hanging meat, but the only issue I could foresee is that the boneless legs that I get are basically butterflied and then wrapped in net or with string. But as long as it's well wrapped and the hooks sink in well, I'd bet you'd be okay.

• Ricky Good Times
            Ricky Good Times commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Guys I will be trying it on SAturday. I will let you how it turns out.
            I will take pics and try to post them.

I am doing lamb on Friday, for out Passover Celebration. I forgot to take pictures of the boning I did on the Leg I got. Mine came from a local meat market. FRESH!! I followed Meatheads recommendation of using a filet knife to do the boning. Whatever your thoughts on that, IT WORKS!! Easiest boning I've ever done. My lamb is resting in the Dolly Lamb Past in my cooler right now (Thursday 5/2/15). Tomorrow (Friday 05/3/15) I'll pop it into my YS640 at 225F. I am planning a 3 hr cook and 30 min rest in a Faux Cham beau. I am planning on roasting the bones at the same time, then boiling them to create the gravy for the meat and the potatos. Check back for pictures.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here