Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding a Leg-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding a Leg-

How would you transport a cooked medium-rare leg of lamb for an hour-long car ride? Is it doable? Safely that is.

I have a 6.5 LB boneless leg of lamb I'm cooking for Easter dinner. I want to cook it over charcoal, but the last time at my inlaws, I did not see thier Weber grill. They are very generous and known to lend/ give things to others. I assume that may have happend.​

The plan is trimming and spicing the roast, tying it, and cooking it with a reverse sear over charcoal. Let it rest for 15 minutes, wrap it tightly in foil and towels and place it into a warm cooler for transport. The temps will be suspect for an hour.

Another option would be to cook it on the weber to 110 degrees. Wrap it for travel and finish under the broiler when I get there. What say the pitmasters?
    Last edited by DTro; April 7, 2023, 12:40 PM.

Why not wrap it immediately to keep the temp up?

Comment

It's only an hour drive, the leg should rest for at least that anyway.
      Wrap that sucker as planned and throw it in the car, it'll be fine mate

Comment

Sid P I am thinking that the leg could shoot past the desired temp if I wrap it immediately.

Stuey1515 Sounds like a plan -Thanks!

Comment

I have nothing to add except, when tying, try to keep the leg in a uniform shape. I didn't one time and had over done on one end and under done on the thick end.

Good luck! We love our lamb here. Will be doing chops with Meatheads Sheep Dip.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here