Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leg of Lamb Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg of Lamb Options

I don't often cook lamb, but just bought a boneless leg of lamb I'd like to try out. I'm considering 2 options for the cook. The recipe from this website, https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...g-lamb-recipe/, where the roast is finished medium rare and sliced. The other option is a low and slow cook similar to a pork shoulder.
    Any opinions on which is the best?

Med rare and sliced, this is the way.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      As opposed to well done and ruined. Yep I'm in the rare camp for sure

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      +10

I agree on the medium rare and sliced. I cook mine on the Weber Kettle using the SnS and Cajun Bandit rotisserie and turns out great.
    Last edited by Purc; March 10, 2022, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I also use my kettle with rotisserie. Turns out yummy every time. .

Love Lamb, and don't forget the mint jelly.
    I have found on roasts in general I usually get medium-well to medium-rare slices.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yuck to mint jelly. Never liked the stuff.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Chimichurri, not mint jelly! Patagonian style

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      I LOVE mint jelly.

My vote would also be for medium rare and sliced. We have the butcher cut a bone in leg into steaks and grill to medium rare just like beef steak. A unique flavor, but for me delicious.

Here's a picture from my post in 2017, can't find the post at the moment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1187519

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Those little green balls, are they some kind of Oysters from the Rocky Mountains?

I too vote medium rare and sliced. Be sure to remove the gland! Use Meathead's "Dolly's Lamb Paste"!

Comment

Thank you for the responses. ILooks like it's unanimous.

Comment

Get a square cut shoulder for low and slow lamb!

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
          mrteddyprincess commented
          Editing a comment
          I have never seen lamb shoulder at the butcher/grocery in Indiana. Where do you find it?

I always go heavy on the Rosemary with anything lamb.....usually just add it to any Greek/ Mediterainian rub
        DITTO on the Mint Jelly and I vote for Medium....

Comment

I've always wanted to try the Kentucky Black Sauce ( https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...mb-and-mutton/ ), but I suppose that's more for low and slow mutton.

Comment

When I purchase Costco New Zealand boneless Leg of Lamb, I break it down along the fascial planes, and cut it into large, thick pieces which I then treat like a good rib or NY steak. Dry brine overnight, pepper, maybe some crushed garlic, then either front or reverse sear with a target temp of 135 (medium rare.) This way a whole leg gets to have an exponential increase in Maillard surface area for flavor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9093.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1187673

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Dr. Pepper in a stemmed glass.

I usually butterfly and remove as much of the surface fat and silver skin as possible. The fat is what gives the off putting flavor. You can separate the three main muscle groups, schmear on side with a garlic and herp paste, and roll and tie them into small individual "roasts" I got that idea from Cook's magazine years ago and it's a great way to prepare a leg.

Comment

Here's what I did with my last one, separating it like Dr. Pepper and Bkhuna did

Does anyone have experience completely separating a boneless leg of lamb into individual muscles? I am looking to do a hot and fast grill of these individual pieces. I plan on treating them more like a steak than a roast. Reverse sear? Live fire JKF? I am definitely looking to do something direct over charcoal. Anyone have

Comment

Like Bkhuna I butterfly mine and prep it the same way. I tie back up after rubbing the insides with a herb paste (and the exterior also). While I remove the hard inner fat (it won't render), I leave the exterior fat on the roast to get crispy.

I've smoked them before, but to be honest, I love the flavor of lamb with the herbs and garlic, so I slow roast it in my oven. No smoke flavor. My house smells heavenly when there is a leg of lamb in the oven.
                Attached Files

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Write up Process--You Done Good!
                  May have to give this a go.

I don't cook the entire leg as a roast but I will cut it up and make it into kabobs (I do have my own way of cutting them up). I do them on a medium heat and continue to turn until done. Pretty quick cook this way and agree with med-rare finish, guests always rave about it.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lamb kabobs? No Pictures?

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here